Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger
Author: Dale Jones
Date: 03-03-2015 - 05:33

Well....I suppose the answer to the question, "Where were you 45 years ago today, March 3,1970 on "M-Day,"...Burlington Northern - merger day....really puts a date on us old "heads."

I was still High School, at West Valley in Spokane, Washington looking out of the Study Hall window when I saw three "Big Sky Blue" Great Northern U-33-C's lead an eastbound train on the Northern Pacific tracks.. it was an exciting beginning and a sad end.

I was pretty much always a Great Northern fan and since it was years before any regular "Power Pools" - seeing foreign locomotives on home railroads was rare. So..to see Great Northern engines on Northern Pacific rails was at first exciting, but that excitement grew old fast as the realization that my beloved "Great Northern" was gone to be absorbed by Burlington Northern "Cascade Green."

I was never a big fan of Burlington Northern "Rainbow Daze" as I just could hardly stand to see my Great Northern engines mixed with Northern Pacific or CB&Q locomotives -SP&S and GN were okay...don't me why that was okay - it just was. I didn't take many photos after the merger - but as many times...hindsight is always the best sight. I wish I would have recorded the transition.

Now nearly two decades ago Burlington Northern Cascade Green" is gone - I kind of grew fond of those colors and wish they were back - I'm okay with the "New" BNSF "Heritage" paint scheme as it kind reminds me of the old Great Northern

The 1970's was the beginning of "Big" mergers that turned into "Mega" mergers on the dawning of the 21st Century

What changes to railroading will there be in the next 45 years?

Talk to ya later,
Dale Jones

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger Dale Jones 03-03-2015 - 05:33
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger Tom Farence 03-03-2015 - 06:43
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger Tom Farence 03-03-2015 - 07:00
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger Mellow Mike 03-03-2015 - 07:50
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger Just a Passerby 03-03-2015 - 08:54
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger Tim L 03-03-2015 - 09:24
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger Big One 03-03-2015 - 12:27
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger pdxrailtransit 03-03-2015 - 14:03
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger Steve Thompson 03-03-2015 - 18:16
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger Disco Dave 03-03-2015 - 18:18
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger BN Oly 03-03-2015 - 20:41
  Re: Where Were You 45 Years Ago on "M-Day"..BN Merger GN Goat 03-06-2015 - 04:55

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com