Re: Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End
Author: Paul Zboya
Date: 06-10-2008 - 13:22

The City by the Lake, always beautiful and fun to explore, Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. I was very fortunate as young boy growing up from Calgary, Alberta Canada, to spend many summer vacations here. My parents had their honeymoon here and even my Victoria Day long weekends in May during High School were spent in Coeur d' Alene. My wife, then girlfriend, both used to camp at the Robinhood Campground along the Burlington Northern right of way . I cannot believe the growth in this area over the years, on those Railroad Tracks I always walked. They (businessmen) call it progress, I don't know what to call it (I guess...Change)? It broke my heart to hear that the Stimson Lumber Mill (The Last Sawmill in Coeur d' Alene), will be closing at the end of June 2008. This will allow the North Idaho College to expand once the mill has been removed. This is the similar fate that the Polatch Lumber Mill suffered back in 1987, when it closed it's doors for the last time to make way for Hagadone Corporations Golf Course. This is the end of an era for both Railroads and Lumber Mills in this part of the Idaho Panhandle. Like the Caboose, another part of Railroad History is about to disappear from the Idaho Landscape. Gone are the days of photographing single units of the Burlington Northern in Cascade Green and Black like GP-9's, or GP-38-2's. Also to, like their rival competitor, were the back to back GP-38-2's of the Union Pacific Railroad units sporting their Proud Shield and Canary Yellow, Red, and Gray livery. Of course, lets not forget all the Lummber Mills (DeArmond, Potlatch, Stimson, and to others not mentioned). These were the Best of Times! Thank-you and God Bless!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End Bruce Kelly 03-19-2008 - 14:24
  Re: Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End Ross Hall 03-19-2008 - 16:45
  Re: Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End Tom Barrett 03-20-2008 - 00:12
  Re: Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End Bruce Kelly 03-21-2008 - 07:14
  Re: Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End Rich Hunn 03-21-2008 - 14:08
  Re: Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End Bruce Kelly 03-21-2008 - 15:14
  Re: Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End Ross Hall 03-21-2008 - 17:52
  Re: Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End h 03-21-2008 - 22:16
  Re: Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End George Andrews 03-22-2008 - 19:51
  Re: Railroading into Coeur d'Alene About to End Paul Zboya 06-10-2008 - 13:22

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com