SC County RTC hearing last Thursday
Author: Barry Scott
Date: 06-06-2015 - 11:24

I was present during the full session of the SCCRTC hearing last Thursday in Watsonville and can report these facts:

• Rail is feasible, there are no findings to suggest that it is not feasible;
• Funds come from multiple state, federal, and local streams- not just the county;
• Now we need to get further input and decide on which of seven plans is best;
• We also need to look at which technologies work best, EMUs or DMUs, etc.
• Public comments clearly favor the rail project.

My three key points were:
• The 32-mile corridor is part of a much broader state-wide intermodal system, can connect with other systems, ultimately take us anywhere. The rail part of that is vital and should be compatible with connecting rail types.

• If we don't build rail now, we must keep the option available, preserve the right of way and easements, and not count on "rail banking", which can be overturned later.

• We know it's expensive up front but need to ask: "What are the Costs of Not Building the Rail?"

I was happy to hear Watsonville mayor, Nancy Bilicich, remind us all that the rail is important to ALL county residents and communities, not just those in the Aptos-Capitola-Santa Cruz strip, and the solutions need to serve everyone, including South County, and not just a handful of cycling enthusiasts who want the corridor to themselves. THAT is not going to happen.

Finally, apologies to any homeowners who bought property along an active rail right of way, probably at a discount, who will have to endure the sound of trains. They shouldn't be surprised and they shouldn't complain and they might like it! I happen to like the sound of trains.

Mr. Peoples arrived late, but addressed the commission with something having to do with three water pipes and one has bubbles and he was in the middle of that and the mic was cut, then he left without hearing any other comments.

The project moves forward and promises to connect to other rail and transport services to become part of an intermodal transportation network.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SC County RTC hearing last Thursday Barry Scott 06-06-2015 - 11:24
  Re: SC County RTC hearing last Thursday Duke 06-06-2015 - 12:59

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com