Taxpayer $'s well spent?
Author: NWPFan
Date: 04-17-2008 - 08:46

Here is an article in this mornings Press Democrat.

The old highway's new start
HIGHWAY 101: $69 million realignment diverting traffic from mudslides to affect northern tourism

By SHADI RAHIMI
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
April 17, 2008

The southbound Highway 101 bridge begins to take shape over the Eel River in northern Mendocino County. Kent Porter / The Press Democrat

An iconic span is rising slowly above the south fork of the Eel River, bringing with it a mix of hope and trepidation fitting a hill named Confusion.

Work crews are halfway through a $69 million, three-year realignment of Highway 101, which includes two new bridges and a 1.5-mile stretch of roadway diverting the highway from the slide-prone Confusion Hill in northern Mendocino County.

Some view the project as a promise of new beginnings, a chance to bring visitors to a region brought to near economic standstill each winter when falling boulders and mudslides close the highway.

###END###

I cannot believe that we taxpayers are expected to fund this obvious boondoggle. Are our local politicians paying attention? Why are we hard working people of this state expected to subsidize the trucking and tourism industries. I say that if these industries are important, then they should pay their own way. Thats the American way, right! Everyone knows that the Eel River Canyon is slide prone and we will never be able to keep a highway open. Just throwing money away.

If there was tourism, then private companies would have buit a 4 lane freeway years ago.
Just another instance of local governmant officials feeding from the public trough and not accomplishing a darn thing.

I say spend this money where it will do some good, tunneling the NWP under Novato!

(Did you pick up on the sarcasm and typical NWP arguments? I hope I left a typo/mispelled word in "hear" as some of you really like to pounce on those.)

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Taxpayer $'s well spent? NWPFan 04-17-2008 - 08:46
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? David Maxwell 04-17-2008 - 11:17
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? George Davis 04-17-2008 - 11:52
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? David Maxwell 04-17-2008 - 12:55
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? M. Harris 04-17-2008 - 14:16
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? George Davis 04-17-2008 - 16:48
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? U.S Hwys - A Little History... George Andrews 04-17-2008 - 17:26
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? U.S Hwys - A Little History... Erik H. 04-17-2008 - 20:36
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? U.S Hwys - A Little History... Gunner X 04-19-2008 - 08:05
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? U.S Hwys - A Little History... Erik H. 04-22-2008 - 14:19
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? mook 04-17-2008 - 19:03
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? Dave Smith 04-18-2008 - 18:48
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? George Andrews 04-21-2008 - 19:20
  Re: Taxpayer $'s well spent? Dave Smith 04-22-2008 - 20:13

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com