CORP/RA/Siskiyou Detours
Author: Jeff Moore
Date: 05-26-2008 - 21:15

1. Detours. Clearance was The Biggest Issue that prevented UP from using the Siskiyou Line for detours during the slide induced closure of Pengra Pass. Most modern freight cars and locomotives simply do not fit through the Siskiyou line tunnels. That being said, UP did run two or three detours over the Siskiyou Line, all consisting of solid unit trains of empty centerbeams powered by three unit sets of SD40-2's. These trains had to be specially assembled in Roseville for the trip north.

2. RA/CORP. I'm consistently amazed at how ruffled railfans and politicians are getting over this issue. Railroads ARE NOT CHARITIES but yet many seem to expect them to operate as such. They are businesses with owners expecting some sort of a financial return on their investment. If the business is profitable enough to provide a return on investment then there are no problems. This entire CORP/RA issue reminds me a lot of the situation our airlines now find themselves mired in- i.e., the customer base is there but is not willing to pay a high enough fare to cover the true cost of providing the service. I read over CORP's response that is posted on the STB website, and I must say that it states CORP's case very clearly. Basically put, CORP lost money running to Coos Bay. To all of those who view CORP or RA or FIG as the root of this problem, I say let's see you- or anyone else for that matter- do any better. The business to warrant keeping the Coos Bay line open simply does not now exist, especially with the needed repairs to warrant safe operations. Vague promises and possibilities of future carloads sometime down the road do not pay today's bills. I believe CORP has done probably about as good a job as private industry can do with that railroad, and the only difference now is that FIG is not willing to put up with operating losses in the same way as previous ownership. The people of Oregon- through their duly elected officials- are making a lot of noise about keeping the line in place and intact, yet they seem to be reluctant to pay for it. Is it fair for society to expect- indeed force- private capital to continue to suffer financial and resource losses incurred while running a losing proposition? It would appear to me that if this is such a big deal for society, then shouldn't society shoulder enough of the burden to make the continued involvement of the private business justifiable?

Just some random thoughts for tonight...

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  CORP/RailAmerica Update Coos Bay Line Fan 05-26-2008 - 09:53
  Re: CORP/RailAmerica Update Treun 05-26-2008 - 10:09
  Re: CORP/RailAmerica Update mook 05-26-2008 - 10:40
  More than 3 RA shutdowns pending Chad 05-26-2008 - 17:52
  Re: CORP Detour answers... George Andrews 05-26-2008 - 18:06
  Re: CORP Detour answers... Gunner V 05-26-2008 - 19:38
  Re: CORP/RailAmerica Update George Andrews 05-26-2008 - 17:53
  Re: CORP/RailAmerica Update Kevin 05-26-2008 - 19:29
  CORP/RA/Siskiyou Detours Jeff Moore 05-26-2008 - 21:15
  Re: CORP/RA/Siskiyou Detours mook 05-26-2008 - 22:00
  Re: CORP/RA/Siskiyou Detours MIke 05-26-2008 - 23:07
  Re: CORP/RA/Siskiyou Detours GP0 05-27-2008 - 20:54
  Re: CORP/RailAmerica Update Dennis 05-27-2008 - 08:15
  Re: CORP/RailAmerica Update H.T.M. 05-27-2008 - 17:23
  Re: CORP/RailAmerica Update Gerry T 05-27-2008 - 21:29
  Re: CORP/RailAmerica Update Alfred Doten 05-28-2008 - 08:31
  Re: CORP/RailAmerica Update Coo Coos 06-02-2008 - 13:21

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com