Re: Shippers resond to CORP's STB answer
Author: shortline sammie
Date: 06-05-2008 - 20:36

Truthfinder, you are nitpicking. I assume you work for ODOT. OK, if DeFazio made the request to the FRA what's the difference? I'm sure he was supported by Kelly Taylor, Melbo and the rest of the ODOT staff. After all, their jobs are supported by taxes and the Gross Revenue Fee that ODOT extorts out of the railroads annually to support their harassment operations. They need the revenue from these two branchlines to feed their coffers and I, for one. would LOVE the Coos Bay to reopen along with the POTB so that the ODOT and FRA inspectors would have something to do besides "reinspect" the railroads they have already inspected. I'm sure that a bunch ODOT people accompanied the FRA inspectors in their quest for the "truth" while touring the Coos Bay line.

By the FRA concurring with the CORP's position, they essentially agree that it will cost $23-some million (or a similar bunch of money) to make the line SAFE to operate. If I "misspoke" by inferring the FRA did an appraisal of the cost to make the line safe, I apologize. The FRA is founded on SAFETY which is the reason for the "second opinion"; they don't give a damn about anything else and their mission is to instill in the railroads that they regulate that SAFETY IS FIRST by putting the fear of GOD into them which supports statements made in my previous post. All railroads, Class One through the shortest shortline, beleive in a safe operation; it is ingrained in the culture under which we operate.

I stand on my previous post that the Coos Bay line cannot be operated safely until the proper maintenance is performed; it may be tunnels, ties or turf, until someone with deep enough pockets is found to operate this "loser" track segment no trains will be run by any COMPETENT operator. Foamers, line up with your credit cards; the line needs HELP in a BIG way and you just may be the salvation needed!! It also believe that it cannot be operated profitably (or even exist) without significant surcharges on traffic or government subsidy. Seventeen years experience I KNOW what it takes and COSTS to operate a successful shortline railroad.

P.S. to Mr. Truthfinder: Contact me @ raskell@canby.com and I'll set you straight about what it takes to operate a SUCCESSFUL shortline railroad ooperation.

Dick Samuels, President Oregon Pacific Railroad OPR=Oregon's Progressive Shortline Railroad

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Shippers resond to CORP's STB answer Coos Bay Branch Fan 06-04-2008 - 09:01
  Re: Shippers resond to CORP's STB answer douglasm 06-04-2008 - 12:53
  Re: Shippers resond to CORP's STB answer shortline sammie 06-04-2008 - 21:05
  Re: Shippers resond to CORP's STB answer Fact Checker 06-05-2008 - 09:37
  Re: Shippers resond to CORP's STB answer shortline sammie 06-05-2008 - 20:36
  Re: Shippers resond to CORP's STB answer shortline sammie 06-05-2008 - 21:43

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com