Anyone Remember the Golden Spike Behind Stanford Shopping Center?
Author: Jim Evans
Date: 01-31-2007 - 11:23

Sometime in the 1980s, a fellow started a resturant located behind the Stanford Shopping
Center in Palo Alto and retained a modeler to construct an HO version of the transcontenial
railroad in the 1870s. The very detailed layout was constructed above table level and then, as I recall, there was an LGB line that ran around the place at table level below the HO.

This was very impressive to look at but as I recall the trains never operated right so most of the time they were idle. I think there was a sprial in one corner also.

The Golden Spike lasted for around two years. The first time I went shortly after opening, the food was great, and some trains were running, but on my last visit, 6 months before it closed, food and service went down hill and trains were idle.

Must of been quite expensive to construct this. Too bad it was so short lived.

Anybody remember this?

Regards, Jim Evans

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Anyone Remember the Golden Spike Behind Stanford Shopping Center? Jim Evans 01-31-2007 - 11:23
  Re: Anyone Remember the Golden Spike Behind Stanford Shopping Center? Mike Anderson 01-31-2007 - 11:48
  Re: Anyone Remember the Golden Spike Behind Stanford Shopping Center? MIkeB 01-31-2007 - 12:59
  Re: Anyone Remember the Golden Spike Behind Stanford Shopping Center? Chuck 01-31-2007 - 16:04
  Re: Anyone Remember the Golden Spike Behind Stanford Shopping Center? Darren Anderson 02-01-2007 - 08:50
  Re: Anyone Remember the Golden Spike Behind Stanford Shopping Center? Chuck Anderson 01-31-2007 - 17:18
  Re: Anyone Remember the Golden Spike Behind Stanford Shopping Center? Alf Doten 01-31-2007 - 20:15
  Re: Anyone Remember the Golden Spike Behind Stanford Shopping Center? Mark McAllister 02-01-2007 - 16:18

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com