Re: Retired CORP Mgr defends CORP, laments $$ freeze
Author: Mirror Pond
Date: 06-23-2008 - 21:31

I think the state is trying to keep its (rail)options open/preserved. Having the Mt. Hood RR back together preserves the option of freight moving over it. I think they do haul freight on that line, just not much.

CORP really screwed on their line. The state probably has a plan there, and that's not to loose the rail, but they also are not going to reward COPR in any way even if the short term harm to shippers exists.

Yes, the P&W is making out like bandits with Connect Oregon Money, but they have the most track in the most populated areas of the state and have either worked closely with the state or are very politically savvy.

I think the Albany project is really good. Getting trains off the UP main will help the UP and thus Amtrak. They State spends what, 10 million a year subsidizing Amtrak Cascades? That project is a win-win for the P&W, City of Albany, UP, Amtrak, everyone (except for the "new" neighbors who will be screaming NIBY)

Long term Connect Oregon is doing some real good things that will benefit the State for the next 20-30 years without having governments hands stuck in the cookie jar as part of it.

I'm Glad that they have not giving lots of money to the UP or BNSF too. It seems they are looking at what will benefit Oregon the most that otherwise could not happen. Many of the BNSF or UP projects will probably happen anyway so no point in giving them that handout.

With the questionable future of ethanol production, I do wonder if the BNSF/P&W wye project will go down as a blunder when this country realizes that ethanol is not the answer and the corn trains stop coming to the A-line. That money probably could have been spent better someplace else.

I think we will see the POTB put back together or re-connected in some form in the next few years for the same reasons as above too.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Retired CORP Mgr defends CORP, laments $$ freeze Graham Buxton 06-22-2008 - 12:10
  Re: Retired CORP Mgr defends CORP, laments $$ freeze sp_redelectric 06-23-2008 - 20:48
  Re: Retired CORP Mgr defends CORP, laments $$ freeze Mirror Pond 06-23-2008 - 21:31
  Re: Retired CORP Mgr defends CORP, laments $$ freeze P&W fan 06-23-2008 - 22:00
  Re: Retired CORP Mgr defends CORP, laments $$ freeze sp_redelectric 06-24-2008 - 19:11

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com