Re: Alameda Corridor dream becomes financial BS for LA News Grouo?
Author: wsabo
Date: 09-26-2016 - 12:19

I don't know a lot about the economics of the deal but I do understand they can be misleading because of the way costs are allocated. For example in the pre-Amtrak days (anybody remember them?)) railroads were accused of inflating the cost of passenger trains by saying for example half of costs for track maintenance could be charged to passenger trains even if there was only one passenger train a day and several freights, and even if passenger trains were discontinued the railroad might still have to pay the same amount to maintain the track for high quality freight service.
Regardless of the cost to ports we've undoubtedly saved a lot of time is money for people in cars not being delayed by long slow trains blocking crossings. I'm sure air quality is a lot better because of the reduction in cars waiting at crossings and there's no way to tell how many lives were saved or extended by eliminating all the exhaust fumes because fewer people were killed by eliminating many crossings.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Alameda Corridor dream becomes financial nightmare for Los Angeles and Long Beach ports News at Noon 09-26-2016 - 07:33
  Re: Alameda Corridor dream becomes financial BS for LA News Grouo? BOB2 09-26-2016 - 08:29
  Re: Alameda Corridor dream becomes financial BS for LA News Grouo? wsabo 09-26-2016 - 12:19
  Re: Alameda Corridor dream becomes financial BS for LA News Grouo? BOB R 09-26-2016 - 20:15
  Re: Alameda Corridor dream becomes financial BS for LA News Grouo? George Andrews 09-26-2016 - 20:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com