Re: IP under the gun again
Author: wsabo
Date: 03-02-2017 - 15:28

I don't know if Ed Ellis is incompetent or just a dreamer...I don't believe he's a criminal.
IP had some great ideas like Pullman Rail Journeys but not enough capital to sustain it until it could be profitable. Some businesses need a couple years to turn a profit. Airlines like United have gone thru bankruptcy and reemerged maybe IP can do the same.
I think there's a market for something like Pullman Rail Journeys. Look at all the people that pay a lot of money to go on expensive cruises, fly first class and stay in luxury hotels.
On the other hand... maybe luxury overnight service added to Amtrak trains a couple times a week between major tourist population centers like Chicago and New Orleans is doomed to fail or needs a heavy subsidy regardless of who operates it. Look at American Orient Express.... Really nice train. It happened to operate during a recession.
Is the VIA Rail Canadian 20 car train profitable?
Is Alaska Railroad profitable with all the private cruise ship cars or does the state subsidize it just to get tourists to come to Alaska?
I assume Rocky Mountain tours is now profitable It may have taken them awhile to reach that stage. They don't run an overnight train
Maybe the only people who can make money are private car owners who can fill their smaller spaces a few times a year.
Tourist trains are another great concept but maybe IP's costs made tickets for families too expensive.
I'm a strong union supporter and I believe railroad workers should be well payed but if tourist railroads like Niles Canyon had to rely on full time union crews instead of volunteers maybe they wouldn't be around.
I feel bad for IP's workers and suppliers who didn't get paid.
IP should have to pay the appropriate penalties for labor code violations like failing to pay workers on time.
People who own businesses should run credit checks and demand payment in full if they believe a client might not have the cash to pay the tab.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  IP under the gun again Mike Hunt 02-28-2017 - 14:57
  Re: IP under the gun again Misty Loon 02-28-2017 - 15:03
  Re: IP under the gun again Janice van Hoorde 02-28-2017 - 16:53
  Re: IP under the gun again Jim Speaker 02-28-2017 - 17:01
  Re: IP under the gun again Wimpy 02-28-2017 - 17:19
  Re: IP under the gun again J. K. Trowling 02-28-2017 - 18:07
  Re: IP under the gun again Dr Zarkoff 02-28-2017 - 18:36
  Re: IP under the gun again I could be wrong 03-01-2017 - 07:49
  Re: IP under the gun again J. K. Trowling 03-02-2017 - 11:33
  Re: IP under the gun again wsabo 03-02-2017 - 15:28
  Re: IP under the gun again J. K. Trowling 03-03-2017 - 10:42
  Re: IP under the gun again Espee2472 03-03-2017 - 15:01
  Re: IP under the gun again wsabo 03-02-2017 - 15:30

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com