Re: Cal Zephyr detours via Feather River Aug 12
Author: ke6qr
Date: 08-09-2008 - 22:03

The zepher will rejoin the SP main at Weso, just east of Winnemuca. However that is paired track territory and as such the zepher will actually be on former WP rails from Binney Junction (Marysville) all the way to Salt Lake City. To put it another way the Zepher allways uses former WP rails on its eastbound run from Winnemuca (Weso) to Salt Lake City. Westbound the Zepher only uses WP rails from Salt Lake City to Wells Nevada (Alazon) where it enters the east end of the paired track territory. Interestingly enough, I have first class tickets on the Cal Zepher for September 6 all the way to Chicago Illinois from Martinez. I got to ride the original California Zepher in 1969 from Sacramento to Keddie, wow what a fun ride for a 14 year old railfan. I was in the completltly glass vista dome all the way up thru the Feather River Canyon. I have allways wanted to ride that route again and have spent nearly 40 years chasing and stalking trains up and down the canyon. But when I saw that I missed the chance by a few days I didnt feel bad. I imagine the detoured Zepher will spend most of its day sitting in numerous sidings on a single track railroad saturated with detour traffic.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Cal Zephyr detours via Feather River Aug 12 Ed Von Nordeck 08-08-2008 - 16:09
  Re: Cal Zephyr detours via Feather River Aug 12 Drew Jacksich 08-08-2008 - 16:25
  Re: Cal Zephyr detours via Feather River Aug 12 . 08-08-2008 - 19:35
  Re: Cal Zephyr detours via Feather River Aug 12 wsabo 08-09-2008 - 14:09
  Re: Cal Zephyr detours via Feather River Aug 12 mike 08-09-2008 - 15:45
  Re: Cal Zephyr detours via Feather River Aug 12 mike 08-09-2008 - 15:47
  Re: Cal Zephyr detours via Feather River Aug 12 ke6qr 08-09-2008 - 22:03
  Re: Cal Zephyr detours via Feather River Aug 12 Beverlyhelper 08-11-2008 - 14:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com