Re: USA Today Exposes Port Haulers Exploitation
Author: George Andrews
Date: 06-17-2017 - 17:54

I don't know what you mean by "V" "L", but I do know that this port Drayman deal is a RACE to the bottom, in terms of money. The Steamship Companies ( SSCo ) that complain about the high wages they are " forced " to pay the Longshore to work the ships and run the Port Terminals, are the same SSCo's that agreed to those outrageous contracts.
The SSCo's have already rid themselves of the financial & legal burden of owning the chassis under their cans, by scraping or selling off the chassis to 3rd party leasing firms ( TRAC & Flexi Van in Seattle / Tacoma ). Some drayage companies have taken on the expense of buying their own chassis to ensure an adequate supply in light of constant shortages of port chassis. Now with a new deadline looming for newer, cleaner running trucks ( read: more expensive to buy, own, & maintain ), we will see an even greater squeeze put on the dray companies and the owner - operators. The SSCo's have largely removed themselves from the problem of local drayage by dumping it on the Import brokerages, end customers, and dray haulers. In addition to holding the regulatory agencies responsible for the Slave Labor / Indentured Servant problem, I believe the SSCo's also need to be held accountable for this issue. BTW, a new Longshore Contract is due this fall, which will mean more of the same finger - pointing & BS tactics from both sides as we endured 3 years ago. I would expect the Teamsters will use this time to once again try & organize the Port Drivers.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  USA Today Exposes Port Haulers Exploitation Pdxrailtransit 06-16-2017 - 09:57
  Re: USA Today Exposes Port Haulers Exploitation On The Waterfront. 06-16-2017 - 10:23
  Re: USA Today Exposes Port Haulers Exploitation Pdxrailtransit 06-16-2017 - 10:37
  Re: USA Today Exposes Port Haulers Exploitation On The Waterfront 06-16-2017 - 11:39
  Re: USA Today Exposes Port Haulers Exploitation stash 06-16-2017 - 16:15
  Re: USA Today Exposes Port Haulers Exploitation George Andrews 06-17-2017 - 11:56
  Re: USA Today Exposes Port Haulers Exploitation Pdxrailtransit 06-17-2017 - 12:49
  Re: USA Today Exposes Port Haulers Exploitation George Andrews 06-17-2017 - 17:54
  Re: USA Today Exposes Port Haulers Exploitation george manley 06-18-2017 - 10:43

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com