Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS....
Author: BOB2
Date: 08-10-2017 - 19:03

IIRC there may have been about a hundred "proposals" to do something here over my entire career with the Altamont Dumbarton corridor. They've looked at this plenty of times in a generic planning sense, and identified potential service options, over the years.

The problem is that none of this resulted in a funded project, that was formally adopted as a funding commitment, and included in any legally binding planning document, to be put on the Transportation Improvement Program of Projects (the "TIP") that would even create a committed budget placeholder for future funding.

Show me one actual legally authorized or voter approved funding commitment, one that's real, not proposed, not considered, not identified, not a future "wish list" of unfunded projects at MTC?

Projects not formally adopted into Regional Transportation Plans, what some agencies euphemistically call "second tier" or un-funded projects, can't move forward, have no identified or program budget, and aren't real.

Show me any adopted and legally binding "programmed" of voter approved funds, or statutorily mandated project funding, incorporated into any legally binding funding document, like a TIP, that was moved to fund anything at BART?

Projects not formally adopted into Regional Transportation Plans, because they cannot meet the Federal and State criteria for Reasonable Available Funding, cannot be included in things like Air Quality Conformity findings, and are not eligible for funding to begin the necessary EIS/EIR processes. Projects like Dumbarton, on a good day, are what some agencies euphemistically call "second tier" or un-funded projects, these are often included to make folks "happy", but that has is not a legal basis for moving forward and/or being funded in a legally binding programming project list.

One of the problems I found when working with some of the folks who are trying to successfully advocate for these things, and actually have them done, is the failure to actually learn and follow up during those processes. It is here, where you have to make sure the key decisions are made, at the critical decisions points in the planning, environmental, and programming processes that make projects actually happen.

I don't expect average railfans or even rails to understand that process at this level of detail, but this is how it works, if you are going to get your project.

When the Boards, Commissions, Council's, Boards of Supes, legislators, etc. promise you something, you need to make sure that they actually put the staff on notice to prepare paperwork to put legally required processes "in motion" by adopting the critical motions to direct them to get it done.

In my best professional experience, I promise you that lots of politicians are perfectly willing to "seemingly" "promise" you whatever you want to hear, "imply" that they are with you all the way, and then, and then, will promptly ignore you.

I've stood there and listened to them make these very vague "promises" personally, and been "instructed" by that person to ignore you, right after you walked away and were out of earshot. Hell, for a while, I even did that for a living.....not anymore. Now, I'm a "professional" wine taster, like BobR. Time for some Camanere.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Dumbarton corridor study Dave L 08-10-2017 - 09:22
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study BOB2 08-10-2017 - 11:56
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - Thanks! Dave L 08-10-2017 - 12:22
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - Thanks! espee2472 08-10-2017 - 12:36
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - Thanks! HUTCH 7.62 08-10-2017 - 14:51
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - Thanks! synonymouse 08-10-2017 - 16:16
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... BOB2 08-10-2017 - 16:54
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... Espee99 08-10-2017 - 17:18
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... BOB2 08-10-2017 - 19:03
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... Transportation Planner 08-10-2017 - 20:20
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... Frank 08-12-2017 - 18:39
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... HUTCH 7.62 08-10-2017 - 18:32
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... BOB2 08-10-2017 - 20:40
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - So it did make it into at least one TiP.... BOB2 08-10-2017 - 21:01
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - Why not?.. BOB2 08-11-2017 - 04:05
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... david vartanoff 08-11-2017 - 00:06
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... George 08-11-2017 - 12:24
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... synonymouse 08-11-2017 - 23:24
  Re: Dumbarton corridor study - And now for the complete BS.... david vartanoff 08-14-2017 - 09:15

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please enter the code that you see below in the input field.
This message board is maintained by:
Altamont Press Publishing Company