Re: Subtext
Author: david vartanoff
Date: 12-26-2017 - 18:08

Likely so. The well documented reality is fertility rates are inversely proportional to educational and economic attainment of women; or put bluntly, if educated, thus better paid, they will purchase/obtain birth control. OTOH the Ryans of this world not only support restricting access to family planning,and want to outlaw abortions, BUT, once born, are unwilling to support these not so completely desired children as if they are not worthy of health care, food supplement funding or anything else to improve survivability, development, education, thus sabotaging their chances to become functional, useful citizens.
And, of course, he is totally wrong about funding Medicare and Social Security. Simply abolishing the cap on the amount of earnings subject to SS taxes will completely fund SS for at least half a century according to Robert Reich (econ prof at Cal, former Clinton admin).
The other problem w/Ryan's POV, is that the residents of the former colonial regions are having way too many children in societies which cannot find jobs for them--thus the huge migrations to the economically better off countries. On net we need to restrict birth rates, not increae them.

Now, as to mouse's fear of genuine urban density, perhaps he and Elon Musk should become shills for suburban sprawl. I, OTOH, am pleased that I can take BART, a bus, or walk to the Cal campus/downtown Berkeley for films, live music which to me are the great reasons to live in a city where art is practiced. That said, I favor building ever more rail transit to make more urban areas better connected for those of us who prefer to live here over driving in from somewhere out "there."

I have no doubt that CAHSR is poorly designed; the last transit or medium distance rail system that was well designed might have been the Illinois Central Electric Suburban Service (now degraded as Metra Electric) or the IND Division of the New York City Subway. BART was terribly thought out/built. Most rail transit systems in the US have been hamstrung by political meddling, and massive corruption costs resulting in poor service patterns at high fares.

Happy new year, all!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  'big city disease' synonymouse 12-26-2017 - 16:11
  Re: 'big city disease' Commenter 12-26-2017 - 16:41
  Subtext Pdxrailtransit 12-26-2017 - 16:54
  Re: Subtext Commenter 12-26-2017 - 17:14
  Re: Subtext david vartanoff 12-26-2017 - 18:08
  Re: If Paul Ryan is for real Great Lakes Guy 12-27-2017 - 17:53
  Re: If Paul Ryan is for real synonymouse 12-27-2017 - 18:19
  Re: 'big city disease' R Ruiz 12-26-2017 - 17:42
  Re: 'big city disease' Pdxrailtransit 12-26-2017 - 17:51
  Re: Disease? Brain wasting urban myths and the usual nonsense Just sayin' 12-26-2017 - 18:27
  Re: Disease? Brain wasting urban myths and the usual nonsense synonymouse 12-26-2017 - 19:47

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com