Re: Couple of Questions Regarding SP Livermore Line
Author: Alf Doten
Date: 02-10-2018 - 19:30

The SP and WP had an emergency interchange at each end of town. For WP it was westbound at the brick works and eastbound at Trevarno. I believe both were removed in the 1950's. The WP depot was on the same street as the SP depot two blocks north on Oak Street between North L & K Street. The Livermore SP switcher was ususlly a 2-8-0 parked a couple of blocks west of the Depot behind the Purity Store near the water plug. All of that moved to East Pleasanton after steam. Livermore was a great place for train watching in the late 40's to mid 50's when steam was still active. Living near the track I remember during the night cab forwards cutting off at Trevarno and drifting back into town for water. SP used it's last steam between Oakland and Tracy and the grade and number of crossings in Livermore made it quite a show. Often there would be two helpers over the Altamont. Most trains were extras but I believe 471/472 were on the timetable until the mid 1960's. I just barely remember the WP 4-8-4's and 4-8-2's. It's all changed so much I can't recognize anything in Livermore these days.
ARD

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Couple of Questions Regarding SP Livermore Line jed747 02-10-2018 - 18:23
  Re: Couple of Questions Regarding SP Livermore Line Alf Doten 02-10-2018 - 19:30
  Re: Couple of Questions Regarding SP Livermore Line WebDigger 02-10-2018 - 20:53
  Re: Couple of Questions Regarding SP Livermore Line georgemanley 02-10-2018 - 22:46
  Re: Couple of Questions Regarding SP Livermore Line Alf Doten 02-11-2018 - 09:10
  Re: Couple of Questions Regarding SP Livermore Line Graham Buxton 02-10-2018 - 19:33
  Re: Couple of Questions Regarding SP Livermore Line Jeff 02-10-2018 - 22:22
  Re: Couple of Questions Regarding SP Livermore Line SouPac Lives 02-15-2018 - 13:43

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com