Stockton Terminal & Eastern -- Warehousing and Boxcars
Author: SP 0-6-0
Date: 02-11-2018 - 13:25

From an old post by lynnpowell on Trainorders, the Stockton Terminal Co owned warehouses, not to mention the railroad and a fleet of boxcars.

As a transportation business model it is interesting. They had revenue streams from warehousing, shipping, and probably car leasing. By controlling car supply they could also guarantee good service.

I remember seeing an STE boxcar in Bellevue, WA in the early 80's near the Safeway distribution center, so I know these boxcars traveled far and wide.

Quote:
Trainorders
[www.trainorders.com]

Date: 03/13/08 21:11
Re: Questions about the Stockton, Terminal & Eastern
Author: lynnpowell

I can only remember two canneries served by ST&E, Tillie Lewis Foods on Waterloo Rd (still in business under different owners, and still served by ST&E) and another one about three miles east of Hwy 99 (now out of business). Many of the warehouses on the ST&E east of Hwy 99 were owned by Stockton Terminal Co. (owned by the Beard family, as is the ST&E) and were leased to canneries; they trucked their product from the cannery to the warehouse for storage and distribution. Those red boxcars have hauled one heck of a lot of canned goods in their day!

PHOTO:
"Stockton Terminal and Eastern, ST&E, 50' insulated boxcar number 2002 when new. Slide processed JULY 1979."
[www.ebay.com]
https://s18.postimg.org/n7dqkn2u1/s-l1600.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Stockton Terminal & Eastern -- Warehousing and Boxcars SP 0-6-0 02-11-2018 - 13:25

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com