Re: ATSF branchline steam - Valley Divn.
Author: george manley
Date: 02-19-2018 - 18:26

GUYS......Santa Fe used some 2-6-2's in the valley, but it was the little 4-6-2's in the 1200,1300's that were the main local power and SF used 2-8-0's also....I remember on a family rid down to Antioch, there was a long line of 4-6-2's on the Mark Stein lead when the first of the GP7's arrived, what a sad thing to see...These engines were headed for the torch at Pittsburg steel...SF had a fair amount of little 4-6-2's working out of Richmond on the locals to Oakland ad helpers service out of Maltby...In the early morning as the sun was coming up as many as six 4-6-2's coupled were headed to Maltby to help WB's and this gave me any idea of how may WB's were coming. I was too little and didn't have a camera which would have given me some great action working Franklin Canyon. Most trains were double headed, but at least one or two trains would have three engines...two on the point ad one on the rear.
After each WB, Franklin Canyon would be filled with smoke for at least 20 minutes.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  ATSF branchline steam - Valley Divn. Wondering 02-18-2018 - 21:44
  Re: ATSF branchline steam - Valley Divn. Tony Johnson 02-19-2018 - 07:03
  Re: ATSF branchline steam - Valley Divn. 1st cajon 02-19-2018 - 17:12
  Re: ATSF branchline steam - Valley Divn. george manley 02-19-2018 - 18:26
  Re: ATSF branchline steam - Valley Divn. Wondering 02-19-2018 - 19:11
  Re: ATSF branchline steam - Valley Divn. Kenneth Cotton 02-22-2018 - 11:14

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com