Re: Mt Tamalpais Heisler locomotive up for sale; min bid $25K
Author: Jeff Moore
Date: 03-01-2018 - 07:21

I’ve posted the following elsewhere, it’s from the minutes of the Scotia Community Services District board meeting back in September.

"2. Old Business –

a. Heisler Engine #9 and associated equipment: Options Discussion

General Manager Steve Tyler and SHN Engineer Gregory Hufford introduced costs associated with
retaining the logging equipment in the Museum park. Because of presence of asbestos and lead paint, the
District would need to remediate the equipment (incurring both up-front and annual remediation costs)
and fence it off permanently; or consider putting the equipment up for a sealed-bid auction. Complete
remediation would potentially cost upwards of $100,000.00, an unforeseen amount that the District has
not budgeted for at this time. The Friends of Mt. Tamalpais have expressed interest previously in the
equipment, and reminded the Board of their interest at this meeting. Humboldt Redwood Company has
also recently expressed interest in the equipment for a historic logging exhibit of their own. G. Hufford
suggested the possibility for HRC to pay for remediation and leave the equipment at its present location
(costs to transport are expensive). The board requested assurance that any funds acquired from a sealed
bid process would go directly back toward that Museum park area.

Motion: Motion to direct staff to take the historic logging equipment to a publicly noticed sealed bid
auction.

Motion: Walsh Second: McKnight
Motion Vote: Ayes -Bristol, McKnight, Newmaker, Walsh Opposed – 0 Absent - 0
Abstain - Pryor"

I also ran across some documents while exploring their website outlining their procedures on excess property disposal, I didn’t look at it closely enough to see if donation was an option. I see no hint or mention that the museum itself is in danger, just the equipment displayed outside for the reasons discussed above. As for the Heisler, Palco acquired it with the rest of the Dolbeer & Carson company, I’d have to revisit some histories to see if it actually worked for PALCo or not, if it did it didn’t last long.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Mt Tamalpais Heisler locomotive up for sale; min bid $25K Graham Buxton 02-28-2018 - 18:11
  Re: Mt Tamalpais Heisler locomotive up for sale; min bid $25K Jeff Moore 02-28-2018 - 19:42
  Re: Mt Tamalpais Heisler locomotive up for sale; min bid $25K Alf Doten 03-01-2018 - 05:58
  Re: Mt Tamalpais Heisler locomotive up for sale; min bid $25K Jeff Moore 03-01-2018 - 07:21
  Re: Mt Tamalpais Heisler locomotive up for sale; min bid $25K J Mann 03-01-2018 - 10:59
  PAGGING LOGGER HOGGER JOHN 03-02-2018 - 20:59
  Re: PAGGING LOGGER HOGGER Jeff Moore 03-03-2018 - 07:39
  Re: PAGGING LOGGER HOGGER Hogger of Logs 03-03-2018 - 19:31
  Drew, Tell Us How You Really Feel Dope 03-05-2018 - 09:13
  Re: PAGGING LOGGER HOGGER Drew Jacksich 03-05-2018 - 21:53
  Re: PAGGING LOGGER HOGGER Officer Mayberry 03-08-2018 - 07:58
  Re: PAGGING LOGGER HOGGER Drew Jacksich 03-08-2018 - 15:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com