Re: Jaype Line
Author: Really?
Date: 03-16-2018 - 06:11

Sounds logical enough, but how would that line owner (check out the STB) have pulled off a 3 million TIGER grant without some local political support, which presumably involved Clearwater Paper or the timber holder (what's left of Potlatch, I believe)?

Pretty shocking to see this award for this (presumed purpose), but you don't just have a Tiger fall in your lap it takes LOTS of stakeholders making it THEIR big deal.

I want to say at least at one time the timber company had some obligation to supply the paper mill, which obviously was spun off when Potlatch went the REIT route and had to get out of less timber-ish ops. I don't know that the paper mill doesn't need large quantities of the species the timberholder needs to periodically cut up around the Jaype landing.

Of late they've been bringing barges of whatever chips up from St. Helens, who knows what the current competition for fiber in that zone is currently - or is expected to become. Mills seem to chase cheap fiber which is about the only thing that ever creates rail moves that way anymore.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Tiger Grants Announced J 03-13-2018 - 07:38
  Jaype Line S. Thomas 03-13-2018 - 20:25
  Re: Jaype Line BGCM hopeful 03-14-2018 - 05:03
  Re: Jaype Line retired 03-14-2018 - 06:51
  Re: Jaype Line ShortlinesUSA 03-14-2018 - 07:05
  Re: Jaype Line Goober 03-14-2018 - 11:57
  Re: Jaype Line J 03-14-2018 - 12:22
  Re: Jaype Line trackwalker 03-14-2018 - 22:07
  Re: Jaype Line Really? 03-16-2018 - 06:11
  Re: Jaype Line S. Thomas 03-16-2018 - 07:22

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com