Re: Competitor for TO ... Railcams and discussion (membership fee)
Author: tundraboomer
Date: 04-08-2018 - 11:48

Comparing TO to Virtual Rail Fan is apples and oranges. TO is primarily a discussion group covering nearly all rail subjects, past and present, near and far. The live cams that still remain there are ancillary to the main purpose. By Todd's own admission, the cams generate little traffic, are viewed by a small minority of members, yet produce the highest portion of costs for bandwidth. In the context of his business model, the live cams seem to be more of a nuisance than an asset.

Virtual Railfan, on the other hand, is all about the here and now and live "chat". It's great for people who have time to sit there and look at rail cams and discuss the live content, but it doesn't cover anywhere near the subject matter that TO does. A couple years ago I received a complimentary trial subscription and I found it to be an interesting diversion, but not much else. I don't have time to watch webcams, I'm not all that interested in watching contemporary trains, and I found the "chat" less useful than the forum format. Do a Google search on nearly any railroad topic and it's likely that a thread on TO will appear on the first page of your search results. Not so with very many other rail-oriented sites.

Still, to each his own, and I suppose more than anything, these two platforms compliment one-another more than they compete. Perhaps that is why discussions about virtualrailfan.com are tolerated on TO. Just because they are both pay-to-play sites doesn't necessarily make them redundant.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Competitor for TO ... Railcams and discussion (membership fee) Graham Buxton 04-08-2018 - 08:49
  Re: Competitor for TO ... Railcams and discussion (membership fee) Anon 04-08-2018 - 09:45
  Re: Competitor for TO ... Railcams and discussion (membership fee) Graham Buxton 04-08-2018 - 09:59
  Re: Competitor for TO ... Railcams and discussion (membership fee) Reader 04-08-2018 - 10:53
  Re: Competitor for TO ... Railcams and discussion (membership fee) tundraboomer 04-08-2018 - 11:48
  Re: Competitor for TO ... Railcams and discussion (membership fee) Chuck in Wallowa County 04-08-2018 - 16:30
  Re: Competitor for TO ... Railcams and discussion (membership fee) Jim R 04-08-2018 - 19:53
  VR railcam chat rooms are not competition for Trainorders or any discussion forums Margaret (SP fan) 04-08-2018 - 16:30
  Re: VR railcam chat rooms are not competition for Trainorders or any discussion forums VR subscriber 04-08-2018 - 21:27
  Re: VR railcam chat rooms are not competition for Trainorders or any discussion forums Jack Schmieder 04-09-2018 - 11:24
  Re: VR railcam chat rooms are not competition for Trainorders or any discussion forums Margaret (SP fan) 04-09-2018 - 13:19

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com