Re: Southern San Luis Valley Railroad
Date: 04-12-2018 - 23:18
Abandonment of the SSLV / SLVS was granted south of the station called McClintock in 1953. McClintock was about 2 miles south of Blanca, CO.
Reportedly the last service south of that point was in late 1957 or early 1958.
After that, the line served the rock loading facility and a lettuce packer. The lettuce packer closed in the mid 1970s, but some building remains are still visible.
There was a wye near the lettuce facility and the ghost of the tracks can still be seen in Google Earth.
The tracks crossed County Road 12 at the job just south of the rock loading facility until the 1958-59 track removal. At some point, the tail of the old main past the switch into the rock plant was removed and the line just curved right into the plant, as it does today.