Re: Re:I wouldn't hire you with an answer like that.....
Author: david vartanoff
Date: 06-06-2018 - 23:44

In response to several...
So as an evening meeting to obtain rider input is breaking up, an agency planner is hustling a ride because his home is too far from any route that actually runs past evening rush. "Anectdotal" evidence is what I see that 'you' don't control via tailored surveys/studies. As I don't drive, I am out on the buses and trains daily. I see a few transit officials on these trips, not many. My local bus agency planning people tell their BOD in public mtgs that they are not very confident of their "passenger counts".

I accept that I over generalize. And I should add that in my less cynical moments I am aware that trying to plan service with a perennially inadequate budget and lack of sufficient political clout to get dedicated lanes, signal priority or sometimes simply bus stops near trip generators is not a cakewalk. That said, I also see a great deal of intransigence from transit management often in tandem with an attitude that the next "magic transit solution du jour" will solve bus bunching,dumb scheduling, and deliberate under staffing (which manifests as 'not-outs'). Contemplate a union contract which mandates premium pay for drivers victimized by 'no leader'.
Cutting 'supervisors/inspectors' during budget crises ends up meaning no one is trying to manage problems.

Transit operators in Manhattan figured out dedicated (elevated tracks) would eliminate the sabotage from (horse drawn) traffic congestion. That necessity of separation remains true.
Bob2 is spot on about union obstruction on GPS tracking of buses, trains. I remember the clauses in the Muni-TWU MOU many years ago.

Several weeks ago Muni proudly announced increased service on the N streetcar route.
Assuming 2 minutes between trains (about as close as can be done) the headways they promised in rush would if actually operated relegate the other 4 lines to no better than 16 minute headways in rush.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Bay Area bus ridership drops synonymouse 06-05-2018 - 10:23
  Re: Bay Area bus ridership drops That Bus Guy 06-05-2018 - 19:21
  Re: Bay Area bus ridership drops synonymouse 06-05-2018 - 20:27
  Re: Bay Area bus ridership drops Negin 06-05-2018 - 22:24
  Re: Bay Area bus ridership drops Negin 06-08-2018 - 09:12
  Re: Bay Area bus ridership drops That Bus Guy 06-06-2018 - 19:12
  Re: Bay Area bus ridership drops Max Wyss 06-06-2018 - 08:07
  Seattle buses interface w/ transit rail David Dewey 06-06-2018 - 08:07
  Connecting Bus/Train doing very well Commuter 06-06-2018 - 09:24
  Buses, ridership, service levels, congestion, busways, and politicians.... BOB2 06-06-2018 - 09:26
  Re: Buses, ridership, service levels, congestion, busways, and politicians.... david vartanoff 06-06-2018 - 09:57
  Re: Buses, ridership, service levels, congestion, busways, and politicians.... That Bus Guy 06-06-2018 - 19:03
  Re:David gets the A...... BOB2 06-06-2018 - 12:34
  Re: Re:I wouldn't hire you with an answer like that..... BOB2 06-06-2018 - 20:32
  Re: Re:I wouldn't hire you with an answer like that..... david vartanoff 06-06-2018 - 23:44
  Re: Re:I wouldn't hire you with an answer like that..... it's amusing 06-07-2018 - 10:14
  Re:I wouldn't hire you with an answer like that..... That Bus Guy 06-07-2018 - 20:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com