Mission St. lines not so worn out
Author: synonymouse
Date: 08-14-2018 - 16:10

[www.sfmta.com]

So it seems the #14 was rerailed from 16th St. to Daly City in 1936, ergo only 8 years old when Muni took control of the Market St. Ry. in 1944. You can see the switches in the foreground for the #11 line to go west to 24th St. They never converted the 11 to trolley coach even tho the poles and feeders were already there. Methinks the south of the slot was given the wrong side of the tracks treatment by the city fathers. On the west side of town only the #2 and #31 did not get trolley buses, but they were only a block away from a line that did.

The townsfolk must have been dazed and confused after the war and just accepted the promise everything was going to modernized. Yeah, as in Urban Removal.

I'd love to turn the clock back 50 years and go chat with Charlie Smallwood about was really going on behind the scenes when Muni resolved to scrap the Mission St. lines. I'm sure he knew the inside scoop. I am guessing amongst the usual suspects would have been Harney(made a lot of money from ripping up the tracks)as well as the Water Department wanting the Peninsula ROW for its works.

BTW, check out the foto of 16 & Mission. The 22 Fillmore trolley coach is already up and running but note how normal and pleasant the intersection looks. No bums nor junkies nor BART. I used to live a few blocks away in the sixties. Good times.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Mission St. lines not so worn out synonymouse 08-14-2018 - 16:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com