Re: Twin Peaks Tunnel contractor faces heat for worker death
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 08-22-2018 - 21:10

Gosh No!

I have NOT heard "Right Wing Whiners" complaining about safety regs.

That's not to say I haven't heard a lot whining in my day. Especially since for part of my career, I was one of the company's safety "enforcers". But the whining was all from co-workers that just got yelled at for disobeying rules or procedures. Can't recall anybody ever mentioning politics.

I hear whining here on Altamont a lot too - from good ole' union bros @#$%& about enforcement of the railroad rulebook. Of course, they would rather that no one was looking over their shoulders. That is understood, but doing all you can to nip bad safety habits that inevitably come up, in the bud before anyone gets hurt is a good caring thing.

Oh - just so you know - nowadays, there are plenty of stupid poorly written regs all over. Especially those done by politicians and bureaucrats who never worked a day of their life in the field they are regulating; and therefore couldn't possible know a damn thing about what they were doing.

I'll gladly kvetch about some poorly written or poorly thought out regulation - many of them ineffective and some down right dangerous. And don't get me started on stupid scientifically flawed environmental regs that often don't work or actually make things worse - MTBE in the drinking water anyone.

I wholeheartedly support regulations made necessary because in the real world; anyone spending money doing the right thing by their employees, customers, or the public; will otherwise be at a serious competitive disadvantage in the business world - always. Proper regulation can level that playing field, thus enabling the "Right Thing" to be done at all. That's why wise men put the "Commerce Clause" in the Constitution in the first place.

But I guess in your eyes, anyone who dares to face up to the reality of myriads of regulatory failures or overreaches needing to be fixed; is just a "right wing whiner";

Not a thoughtful critic hoping to help our government do a better and more honest job.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Twin Peaks Tunnel contractor faces heat for worker death synonymouse 08-18-2018 - 11:23
  Re: Twin Peaks Tunnel contractor faces heat for worker death david vartanoff 08-18-2018 - 11:52
  Re: Twin Peaks Tunnel contractor faces heat for worker death M. Harris 08-19-2018 - 18:08
  Re: Twin Peaks Tunnel contractor faces heat for worker death david vartanoff 08-19-2018 - 21:05
  Re: Twin Peaks Tunnel contractor faces heat for worker death OldPoleBurner 08-22-2018 - 21:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com