Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings
Author: WebDigger
Date: 08-29-2018 - 21:15

Jim G. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That creates another question for me. This packing hook. Does it look like a policeman's billy club, but 2x as long. I have a family picture showing rr employees in a rail yard, and one employee has his arms crossed holding one of these "billy clubs".
>
> Sincerely,
> Jim G.

Uncle Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That billy club sounds like a brake club. Trainmen used it to help tighten the brake wheel when setting hand brakes (good leverage). A packing hook is all metal with an oval handle and shaft about 2 feet long with a blunt hook. At least the ones I've seen over the years.
> Dave in Msla

Thanks, Jim and Dave, for your question and answer. They sent me digging for more.

Google search [railroad packing hook] [www.google.com] turned up some interesting things. Among them:
* C.S.Osborne, manufacturer of a complete line of quality Packing Hooks, Packing Extractors and Packing Pullers since 1826. [www.csosborne.com]
* AN INTERLOCKING PACKING HOOK A special hook said to be particularly ... such, for instance, as out of the grease boxes on the axles of railroad rolling stock, ... [books.google.com]
* Journal packing may appear in good condition on first examination; however, car inspectors should make a thorough Inspection by use of the packing hook ... [books.google.com].

That last one is a link to a Google books collection of twenty Army manuals for Locomotives and Railcars, and sent me digging further.

My Google search [Manuals Combined: Over 20 U.S. Army Locomotive, Rail Car And Railroad Trackage Manuals] [www.google.com] turned up many potentially interesting ones, including this one: TM 55-203 Technical Manual Maintenance Of Railway Car [www.liberatedmanuals.com], which, on pdf page 34, shows a packing hook with its dimensions. Many of you other APers might want to take a look through this document and/or some of the others Google pointed to.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Journal boxes vs. roller bearings Jim G. 08-29-2018 - 14:58
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings Bubba 08-29-2018 - 15:30
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings Jim G. 08-29-2018 - 15:33
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings Bill Maltby 08-29-2018 - 15:34
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings Jim G. 08-29-2018 - 15:31
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings George Andrews 08-29-2018 - 16:24
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings Bubba 08-29-2018 - 16:57
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings Jim G. 08-29-2018 - 17:18
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings Uncle Dave 08-29-2018 - 17:30
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings Jim G. 08-29-2018 - 17:35
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings WebDigger 08-29-2018 - 21:15
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings Tom 08-29-2018 - 23:03
  Re: Journal boxes vs. roller bearings B6sb 08-29-2018 - 23:21

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com