esoRe: INDIO? Maybe, Phoenix of the Imperial Valley, don't hold your breath....
Author: BOB2
Date: 09-01-2018 - 20:41

Since the I-10 sucks, and will continue to deteriorate in the terms of traffic congestion as the population of the Coachella Valley has been quietly doubling, and could ultimately double again., the RCTC has a political incentive to put at least some of the limited funds it is generating into placating the political pressure, as well as the legitimate public demand, and a clear travel "need".

So LOSSAN and Metrolink to Indio is doable, with at a minimum of a five hundred million dollar investment in track and capacity on Beaumont, with a time advantage during peak periods, and competitive rail versus highway time/versus fare competit9ve off peak travel times.

Does IVAG (Imperial County Associations of Governments) have that kind of political and/or resources to pursue this? I doubt it.

And, service to Phoenix, from LA, with the costs of restorations of the line to Phoenix, and support of an intrastate compact in two states that are way behind in highway repairs already, and have a list (in CA at least) of a hundred more cost effective transportation and/or even "rail passenger" improvements. for real voters and taxpayers who are already stuck in urban traffic....? Well? I'd say, don't hold your breath.

We have never had a "transportation" based rail passenger policy in the US, even with Amtrak being now almost 50 years old. We have had a "triage" based, " "national" Amtrak intercity network, with a few innovative State "regional" and "IC" corridors. Which have effectively demonstrated. that at least, in a few corridors, that fast, frequent, and reliable rail passenger services could potentially have significant impacts as an actual "transportation" investment.

So we have never had a "vision", nor a viable political or economic model a service model to justify the idea of something like a Phoenix-LA service. And, "balkanization" of Amtrak, as a national "network" of IC service has never looked more dubious.

In a less cynical world is there a "transportation" case to be made for exurban/rural center to major center rail travel markets, yes there may well be. as with the case I made for Tehachapi, is that case likely to prevail any time some, in the world where choo-choos are expensive, and thus, require significant political commitment, is that going to happen at IVAG...or in Sacto? I doubt it.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  INDIO JOHN 08-30-2018 - 16:02
  Re: INDIO reference 08-30-2018 - 17:14
  Re: INDIO? Caltrans? Probably Not Caltrans..... BOB2 08-30-2018 - 18:15
  Re: INDIO? 2026 on LAUPT runthrough.... BOB2 08-30-2018 - 18:17
  Re: INDIO? Caltrans? Probably Not Caltrans..... JOHN 09-01-2018 - 01:44
  esoRe: INDIO? Maybe, Phoenix of the Imperial Valley, don't hold your breath.... BOB2 09-01-2018 - 20:41

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com