Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile.
Author: on the other hand
Date: 09-19-2018 - 17:22

Road diets, if done right, improve BOTH car and bicycle traffic. That's because, in urban situations (not the burbs), lanes are sometimes crammed into one-way streets in such a way that turns block traffic in the side lanes. A prime example is the P/Q Streets couplet in Sacramento. Was reduced from 3 lanes to 2 slightly wider lanes, with bicycle lanes on the sides (and kept the on-street parking). The extra space on the sides was used to add right- and left-turn lanes at major intersections so turns don't block traffic any more. So in effect the road diet increased capacity by providing 2 actual through lanes. And it shows: traffic moves much more smoothly in the 2-lane section than in the part downtown that was left as 3.

Granted, not all road diets are done right, or for the right reasons.

As for Brightline and the Vegas line: whether it's a good thing is still an open question. According to the article (where they got the info is also an open question, because it's not in the paperwork available at the XpressWest web site), Brightline wants to run the train down the middle of I-15, over the Baker Grade (Mountain Pass) on the surface, and use diesel trainsets at up to 120 mph for a 2+ hour trip between Victorville and Vegas. The design available, environmentally cleared and preliminary engineered, and permitted, is a 150 mph high speed electrified line that also follows I-15, usually to one side but sometimes in the median, tunnels under Mountain Pass, and is fully grade-separated. If Brightline wants to redesign it and cheap it down seriously, one could expect that some of it (in Barstow?) would not be grade-separated. Problem is, for their build schedule, they would have to reopen the FRA & NEPA process and do new studies for the design revisions - giving Barstow and others another bite at the demands apple.

Even if they want to run diesel, it would be better imo to build it as currently designed and permitted without the electrification; add some ventilation fans to the summit tunnel and call it a phase 1 project to be electrified later if traffic demands it. It's easy to run 125 mph on a line designed for 150; it's hard and expensive to convert a 125 mph line to 150 mph later.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022 BOB2 09-19-2018 - 08:55
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022 david vartanoff 09-19-2018 - 09:28
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. BOB2 09-19-2018 - 10:32
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. on the other hand 09-19-2018 - 17:22
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-.Aint' no crossings and no I have not much use for mostt of the very poorly done "road diets"... BOB2 09-19-2018 - 18:51
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Clem 09-19-2018 - 19:23
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Clem 09-19-2018 - 19:27
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Mack E. Avelli 09-19-2018 - 21:56
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Commenter 09-20-2018 - 10:30
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. corrector 09-20-2018 - 10:48
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. The Missing Link 09-20-2018 - 11:14
  Palmdale versus Cajon option The Missing Link 09-20-2018 - 11:21
  Re: Palmdale versus Cajon option-All it takes is money..... BOB2 09-20-2018 - 11:58
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. david vartanoff 09-22-2018 - 14:36
  Re: Induced Demand Nonsense, in a congested condition, you're an idiot-Pfaraffeggnuggins my ass.... BOB2 09-22-2018 - 19:58
  Re: Induced Demand Nonsense, in a congested condition, you're an idiot-Pfaraffeggnuggins my ass.... Ghost of Mook 09-22-2018 - 21:06

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com