Re: Induced Demand Nonsense, in a congested condition, you're an idiot-Pfaraffeggnuggins my ass....
Author: BOB2
Date: 09-22-2018 - 19:58

Another person who looks at increase mobility as a negative, there is demand for access to where we want to go, either we provide enough, or we face congestion, severe congestion, or vastly reduced access.

Travel "time" budgets being fairly constant, as congestion levels increase demand is "suppressed" as the time "cost" of more and more congested travel increases (increased cost=reduced demand in a ?normal good" like "access" which is what "mobility" provides). As density increases much of the fall in travel demand is a associated with two significant factors.

The first factor is that increased congestion (travel limited to a fairly constant average individual average time, and reduced miles per hour=increased travel time) will suppress demand. And, the second is increased density itself. Which allows for a greater number of "substitutes" destinations, which divert trips to access closer locations, where the same "utility" (jobs, good, services, entertainment, education, etc.) of that "access", because the travel time "cost" is lower, and fits within that travel time "budget" we observe in trip making behavior.

We have observed no such "induced demand" with any project completed in the last 30 years in any major urban area in CA. We have observed a significant decline in VMT growth per capita, due to increased levels of congestion (and the fact that we can't make days longer...).

Ironically, some folks have pointed to rail commute service creating "induced demand", this is a locational effect, where people locate over time, to take advantage of the "access" provided, and is a variant of "suppressed" demand, now allowed to a place on the Gold Line like Old Pasadena, which you might not have gone to on the screwed up 210.

If you want to reduce congestion, make sure that the 85% of jobs now being created now going into "business use only" segregated land uses, with 4.5 parking spaces per 1000 sq. feet required and no transit access are located on "transit", instead of just the TOD housing, which doesn't connect to any jobs.....

Meanwhile, with cleaner and automated vehicles, and end to congestion and the demand for individual mobility and access, we need to invest in better and more efficient roads, just like we need to be making efficient and cost effective rail investments.

After all doesn't this awful modern freedom we have to travel and have access to the places and things we want to see, use, have, or just experience sure sucks, doesn't it?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022 BOB2 09-19-2018 - 08:55
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022 david vartanoff 09-19-2018 - 09:28
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. BOB2 09-19-2018 - 10:32
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. on the other hand 09-19-2018 - 17:22
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-.Aint' no crossings and no I have not much use for mostt of the very poorly done "road diets"... BOB2 09-19-2018 - 18:51
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Clem 09-19-2018 - 19:23
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Clem 09-19-2018 - 19:27
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Mack E. Avelli 09-19-2018 - 21:56
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. Commenter 09-20-2018 - 10:30
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. corrector 09-20-2018 - 10:48
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. The Missing Link 09-20-2018 - 11:14
  Palmdale versus Cajon option The Missing Link 09-20-2018 - 11:21
  Re: Palmdale versus Cajon option-All it takes is money..... BOB2 09-20-2018 - 11:58
  Re: Brigthline to Las Vegas by 2022-I would, > however, suggest that investing in expanding auto routes is no longer worthwhile. david vartanoff 09-22-2018 - 14:36
  Re: Induced Demand Nonsense, in a congested condition, you're an idiot-Pfaraffeggnuggins my ass.... BOB2 09-22-2018 - 19:58
  Re: Induced Demand Nonsense, in a congested condition, you're an idiot-Pfaraffeggnuggins my ass.... Ghost of Mook 09-22-2018 - 21:06

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com