Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers!
Author: BOB2
Date: 09-28-2018 - 17:07

But, didn't I just learn that Union Station is obsolete?

Of course there are only a 120,000 or so folks going through LAUPT, or more than twice as many folks every day, as back in the days of the "old" peak 1945-46 numbers. This area of downtown, Chinatown, Little Tokyo, and the "Arts" District are adding thousands of housing units. Other things happening around LAUPT like the Old Mill project are finally being completed, the skyway to Dodger Stadium, potential new development opposite both sides of the River Station and Bull Ring, are obviously going to make LAUPT even more "obsolete", at least in some folks minds.

When I was on picket duty for the RR strike back in around "71 (IIRC...???) LAUPT was down to 3 LD and 3 San Diegan turns, back when you could roll bowling balls or fire cannons down the almost always empty concourse "tunnel", without any danger of hitting a soul.

Now, LAUPT could already use an additional "upper level" concourse, because the tunnel has become so crowded. When the cross town LRT connector is finished in 2020 you can expect as many as 20,000 more coming through. Build out planning on the LAUPT run-through and pedestrian access I was consulted on in the late 90's showed a 2030 number of 200,000 through the station. More of these will be through trips (LRT connector, Subway extension to turnaround at the Arts District, LOSSAN and ML "through" trips on the Phase I run-through), but about 2/3 getting off at LAUPT, to change modes, or go to nearby destinations. And since you have that many people coming through, there are lots of folks looking at more development like this at and around LAUPT.

It sounds like it's time for me to take a trip on the Gold Line... The Harvey House is a great space by Architect Mary Jane Colter, also famous for the buildings she built for the AT&SF at the Grand Canyon, and at other places, like La Posada. It's great to see this being used.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Union Station Brew Pub Sal Cupertine 09-28-2018 - 11:38
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! BOB2 09-28-2018 - 17:07
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! Sgt. Joe Friday 09-28-2018 - 20:06
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! BOB2 09-28-2018 - 21:13
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! OPRRMS 09-28-2018 - 21:34
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! Sgt. Joe Friday 09-28-2018 - 21:40
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! BOB2 09-28-2018 - 21:59
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! George Andrews 09-29-2018 - 22:46
  Re: Union Station was down to 6 train on May 1, 1971 by my count....book is wrong but that's not unusual..... BOB2 09-30-2018 - 07:55
  Re: Union Station was down to 6 train on May 1, 1971 by my count....book is wrong but that's not unusual..... early Amtrak on the Coast 09-30-2018 - 10:19
  Re: Union Station was down to 6 train on May 1, 1971 by my count....book is wrong but that's not unusual..... OPRRMS 09-30-2018 - 12:53

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com