Re: Union Station was down to 6 train on May 1, 1971 by my count....book is wrong but that's not unusual.....
Author: BOB2
Date: 09-30-2018 - 07:55

I seem to recall that the "Coast Daylight" became the daily (and/or maybe early on a daily connection to...?) "through" LA-Seattle train, via Oakland. So there were inot "two trains" a "Daylight" and a "second" mysterious LA-Seattle train. There was only "one train" up the Coast, and it continued to be a daily train, after Amtrak. So that citation would appear to be wrong.

The Super Chief/El Capitan ran as a single train, had been for quite a while, under the AT&SF for quite a while, except during holiday or summer high demand periods, when it ran in sections (coach and Pullman) with green flags on the first section 17-18.

There were just three San Diegans left, and I recall they ran daily, but it is possible that it was 3 ne the weekends and two during the week, but I don't seem to recall this being the case. The fourth San Diegan (aka todays LOSSAN Surfliner, aka the "Baxter Ward" train) was added around mid 70's, and more were gradually through the late 70's and early 80's as the Amfleet cars became available.

The Sunset did run 3 days a week.

I didn't think that I recalled that the COLA survived May 1, since the LA-Ogden section was later restored via Las Vegas.

At that time, DRGW did stay out of Amtrak, and the so-called Zephyr, continued to run on the Overland route via Wyoming, and did not go to Denver, until it was rerouted some time later.....

So where I learned to count, that would still be 6 trains a day, on the days the Sunset ran, as per my first post.

The book is definitely wrong on some of that. Someone out there probably has an original Amtrak timetable and can verify this.

The Docents at the Cornfield State Park told me that there had been a "cornfield" there, and that that the Bullring was called the Bullring because there was an actual Bullring there.

The cornfield was called the cornfield, because this was then at the upper end of the yard coming down the LA River, and back in the 1800's this was out at the "edge" of the City, where there was a "cornfield meet".

The Bullring, was called the Bullring, because LA was a cattle watering stop in the 1800's. This was were cattle were offloaded for watering from stock cars, by kids they hired from "Sonora Town" (LA's original barrio) which we call Olvera Street today) and they waved serapes and "hoop and holler" bravado to cajole the critters in and out of the cars and pens, which gave the place the name "Bullring".

So there is lots of "poorly sourced" Bull about RR's out there.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Union Station Brew Pub Sal Cupertine 09-28-2018 - 11:38
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! BOB2 09-28-2018 - 17:07
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! Sgt. Joe Friday 09-28-2018 - 20:06
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! BOB2 09-28-2018 - 21:13
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! OPRRMS 09-28-2018 - 21:34
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! Sgt. Joe Friday 09-28-2018 - 21:40
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! BOB2 09-28-2018 - 21:59
  Re: Union Station Brew Pub at the Harvey House-great news for beer lovers! George Andrews 09-29-2018 - 22:46
  Re: Union Station was down to 6 train on May 1, 1971 by my count....book is wrong but that's not unusual..... BOB2 09-30-2018 - 07:55
  Re: Union Station was down to 6 train on May 1, 1971 by my count....book is wrong but that's not unusual..... early Amtrak on the Coast 09-30-2018 - 10:19
  Re: Union Station was down to 6 train on May 1, 1971 by my count....book is wrong but that's not unusual..... OPRRMS 09-30-2018 - 12:53

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com