Death of Great Northern Hillyard, WA Depot 10-10-2018 RIP
Author: Dale Jones
Date: 10-11-2018 - 18:40

To all Great Northern or Pacific Northwest Railfans,

I have to report some sad news, but probably was a long time in the making.

Many of you may remember the depot from Hilyard was moved to a lot at Sullivan /Trent in Spokane Valley, WA.
It may have been in the late 1970s or early 1980s when it was moved and converted into a restaurant.

Through the years a passenger car [maybe a 1930s observation car?] was added [what heritage?] and later a caboose [reportedly of Northern Pacific origin] I'm not sure how many owner/operators tried to make a go as a restaurant, but it seemed more vacant than open for service.

About ten years ago [I think] the NP caboose was removed and is alive somewhere [ any info?]
The restaurant had been vacant; perhaps for decades, and honestly I'm surprised it hadn't been burned down by arsonists through the years.

I got some photos of the destruction today - you can see it for yourself in the next few days, or stop by my table at the Spokane Rail Show this Sunday at the Spokane Fairgrounds and I can share photos on my camera. As of today the six-wheel heavyweight passenger car is still there...it almost looks like it could be resurrected [ at least externally]

When I get some time, I'll try to get a photo history together from the days at Hillyard through the years until it's demise.

It seem like "time keeps on - slippin' slippin' into the future" ... Steve Miller Band

Hope to see you Sunday,
Dale Jones
[railroads-of-montana.com]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Death of Great Northern Hillyard, WA Depot 10-10-2018 RIP Dale Jones 10-11-2018 - 18:40
  Re: Death of Great Northern Hillyard, WA Depot 10-10-2018 RIP SDP45 10-11-2018 - 21:13

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com