Re: Norfolk Southern Roster to become as boring as CSX's.
Author: ShortlinesUSA
Date: 02-11-2019 - 21:09

Nah, not a chance. Trust me, as someone who lives in a city where both have a significant presence (and CSX is my preferred choice), NS' roster still crushes CSX's for variety. CSX road trains are down to virtually nothing but AC4400s and GEVOs.

NS has a nice-sized group of SD70ACes, the SD60E rebuilds, is rebuilding older Dash 9s into essentially new AC4400s, and old SD70s into what is best described as a modernized SD70MAC. Yes, there is a good probability of "lucking into" a trio of GEs on an NS train, but the chance for variety far exceeds that on CSX.

NS has already parked about 300 units, which I can only assume is included in the 500. These include nearly all remaining SD60s (all variants, including the ex Conrail I/M models) and a good chunk of the ex-Conrail C40-8Ws.

I could easily see this latest round of dispositions being the nudge NRE needs to cut up some of the rebuild fodder sitting around its facilities. With newer power being let go in droves, larger shortlines and regionals will likely see opportunities in the newer units at price points now in their range, making the chances that a B39-8 that has been rusting to the rails for the last 10 years will ever find a home pretty remote.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Norfolk Southern Roster to become as boring as CSX's. Pdxrailtransit 02-11-2019 - 15:30
  Re: Norfolk Southern Roster to become as boring as CSX's. ShortlinesUSA 02-11-2019 - 21:09
  Re: Norfolk Southern Roster to become as boring as CSX's. Pdxrailtransit 02-12-2019 - 14:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com