Re: Bodie and Benton Ry ?
Author: SP5103
Date: 02-18-2019 - 13:46

Bodie and Benton was planned and some/all grading done between both points, but only woods/mill to Bodie was completed, and the outside connection to the Carson & Colorado was never laid. The steam engines of those days were fairly small, so they disassembled them and moved them overland quite often. I believe Benton would have been the outside railhead. One of the engines later ended up at the Inyo Development Co. in Keeler. I don't recall them ever having any passenger equipment, primarily flats.

Bodie is a fairly intact abandoned gold mining town (state park) east of Hwy 395 in eastern California. The railroad connected the town to the forest and a lumber mill near Mono Lake to supply lumber and cordwood for the town. They also had one of the first hydro-electric plants feeding electricity to the mines.

The standard gage Virginia & Truckee actually built between Virginia City and Carson City first. Their original engines were freighted to Carson and Virginia City (vie Geiger Grade) from the SP railhead at Reno, which they finally did connect to. There was also a ng that ran from Lake Tahoe to the top of Spooner Summit, fluming lumber and cordwood to south Carson City for V&T to take to Virginia City. I believe those engines were likely barged across Tahoe - the "Glenbrook" and much V&T equipment at museum at Carson City, more V&T at Sacramento. I don't know off hand of any surviving B&B equipment.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Bodie and Benton Ry ? ff 02-18-2019 - 13:29
  Re: Bodie and Benton Ry ? reference room 02-18-2019 - 13:46
  Re: Bodie and Benton Ry ? SP5103 02-18-2019 - 13:46
  Re: Bodie and Benton Ry ? BOB2 02-18-2019 - 14:39
  Re: Bodie and Benton Ry ? Alf Doten 02-19-2019 - 17:02
  Re: Bodie and Benton Ry ? Jeff Moore 02-19-2019 - 21:47
  Re: Bodie and Benton Ry ? ff 02-19-2019 - 22:53
  Re: Bodie and Benton Ry ? WebDigger 02-20-2019 - 00:36
  Re: Another line toBodie Al Stangenberger 02-21-2019 - 00:35

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com