Re: Airports undermining transit
Author: nothing etc.
Date: 04-13-2019 - 20:48

Ah, but you're talking for long-distance trains about Germany. Totally different critter.

Where I lived in SF, I could walk 5 minutes to a bus that ran every hour to Castro/Market, or later one that ran every 1/2 hour to Forest Hill or Glen Park. For an airport run, Glen Park BART (15-20 minute bus ride) is the obvious choice. Looking at the current Muni TT, the headways now might officially get down to 20 minutes at some times of day. When the Germans did visit, it was before BART got to the airport so it was drive over and meet them anyway. To get to where I live now, they'd have to take BART to Richmond, ride about 2 hours on Amtrak, and get picked up (not going to let anybody I know hang around an Amtrak station after dark). Oh yes, and Amtrak doesn't have much in the way of late evening departures heading into the Central Valley. Not something I want to expose a foreign visitor to, and absolutely nothing like German trains (US may not be quite 3rd world, but it's trying hard to get there).

When my daughter did a Europe trip last year, yes, we drove her to SFO and went to pick her up, in the Prius (45-50mpg on the freeway). The cell phone lot works fine (even has a portapotty, more than I can say for San Jose). The return flight was over an hour late - doing transit would have required spending the night in SF due to lack of late evening Amtraks (need to check out Megabus...).

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  How to reroute VTA through San Jose J Mann 04-11-2019 - 11:29
  Re: How to reroute VTA through San Jose Bob3 04-11-2019 - 12:34
  Re: How to reroute VTA through San Jose-Airports matter... BOB2 04-11-2019 - 17:04
  Airports undermining transit Delta DFW Downburst 04-12-2019 - 08:07
  Re: Airports undermining transit Bill 04-12-2019 - 08:24
  Re: Airports undermining transit nothing new under the sun 04-12-2019 - 12:03
  Re: Airports undermining transit J Mann 04-12-2019 - 13:03
  Re: Airports undermining transit George Andrews 04-12-2019 - 20:55
  Re: Airports undermining transit nothing etc. 04-13-2019 - 06:45
  Re: Airports undermining transit Commenter 04-13-2019 - 17:58
  Re: Airports undermining transit nothing etc. 04-13-2019 - 20:48

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com