Re: Potlatch News: Impact on STMA, GNWR, BGCM?
Author: David Smith
Date: 10-26-2008 - 10:34

With the Far Left seemingly set to take over all aspects of our federal government, if I was WATCO I'd wait it out on the GNWR. Although I don't believe the movement for dam breaching will necessarily become re-energized to the level it was in the late 90's, there is a more sinister tactic being employed by the environmental extremists to render the dams and reserviors useless for commercial navigation. They'll simply file suit everytime the need for maintenance dredging comes up, and slowly let the river system choke on it's own sediment build-up. That could lead to an end to the 12'-14' draft needed for the grain barges to operate economically, and may lead to the barge companies simply throwing in the towell altogether for Snake River operations.

That would probably shift most grain shipping back to the railroads. Unfortunatly, it (the end of of barging) might also cause Potlatch/CPC to throw in the towel as well on it's Lewiston operations, and that is the cream of GNWR's traffic.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Potlatch News: Impact on STMA, GNWR, BGCM? Bruce Kelly 10-23-2008 - 15:08
  Re: Potlatch News: Impact on STMA, GNWR, BGCM? K-12 10-24-2008 - 13:49
  Re: Potlatch News: Impact on STMA, GNWR, BGCM? David Smith 10-26-2008 - 10:34

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com