Re: UP 4014 chrome trim
Author: Steamfan
Date: 04-25-2019 - 11:52

The locomotive hasn't even been rolled out for everyone's inspection and you guys are getting all in an uproar about things that can easily be covered up with a coat of paint. Do you know for certain that the components are going to be all polished up and pretty? Why not wait a few days and see the final product before getting too excited about it. The railroad logo in the cab floor was done by the SP 4449 guys and I haven't heard of people jumping up and down about it not being authentic. IF the UP guys do that, it falls into the same category as the SP 4449 guys - they are doing the restoration. If they want to add some bling that's up to them. I personally don't like it but it's their work making it possible for us to see this locomotive run again. If it makes them happy then go for it. I can also point out other "bling" items on other locomotives.

Examples:
SP 2472 raised stainless steel numbers and lettering and chrome valve covers. At least they pained the covers in more recent years.
SP 2467 air horn mounted under engineer side walkway instead of being centered on top of boiler in front of the stack. Instead they cut a SP sunset logo as an opening for the airhorn into the vertical sheet metal in front of the horn. Never done on the "real" thing but they thought it was cool.
Polson Logging #2 with it's non-painted pilot. It shows off the beautiful woodwork but it looks weird not being painted. To make pictures look better they made a cover that goes over it.

Does it make me not want to go see these locomotives run. No. I'll still go out of my way to enjoy seeing a steam engine under steam. And if the 4014 comes anywhere near where I live I will be out to see it too.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  UP 4014 chrome trim Straight outa Cheyenne 04-22-2019 - 23:55
  Re: UP 4014 chrome trim All hail the 4014 04-23-2019 - 20:57
  Re: UP 4014 chrome trim Chris 04-23-2019 - 22:06
  Re: UP 4014 chrome trim B6sb 04-24-2019 - 14:02
  Re: UP 4014 chrome trim Steamfan 04-25-2019 - 11:52

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com