Re: Golden Gate Transit gets new diesel hybrids from Gillig
Author: synonymouse
Date: 06-24-2019 - 11:02

My impression over the years of GGT is they are cautious and conservative about rolling stock with a very high quality of vehicle maintenance. For instance they have never wanted to try articulateds on the GG Bridge, presumably out of worry about wind-sway and maybe a breakdown on the Bridge itself and traffic jams.

I'd be interested in the details of the traction motor side of the Gillig diesel hybrids. I assume AC squirrel cage motors to avoid brushes and commutators and perhaps permanent magnet? With batteries you would need DC current initially and it would be good if reasonably compatible with existing trolley coach at 600-750VDC.

Thanks for the info as the Gillig page is basically a foto of a GGT bus. No tech specs at all. I still say that for a line with really heavy loads and a very set route like the #38 Geary in SF trolley wire is a justified infrastructure expense especially if it is possible to go to 3 section articulateds and battery power makes possible major simplification of the overhead switches.

Looking up MCI hybrids fetches this:

[www.greencarcongress.com]

I assume GGT would be interested in straight battery-electric and they have been deploying MCI's for years. I did not know MCI is owned by New Flyer.

Buses are definitely an appropriate topic for Altamont as railroads all over and Amtrak use them. And tech innovation is readily transferable. Like plug doors.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Golden Gate Transit gets new diesel hybrids from Gillig synonymouse 06-23-2019 - 19:23
  Re: Golden Gate Transit gets new diesel hybrids from Gillig FUD 06-23-2019 - 22:44
  Re: Golden Gate Transit gets new diesel hybrids from Gillig Matt Farnsworth 06-24-2019 - 08:37
  Re: Golden Gate Transit gets new diesel hybrids from Gillig JOHN 06-24-2019 - 08:42
  Re: Golden Gate Transit gets new diesel hybrids from Gillig Matt Farnsworth 06-24-2019 - 08:53
  Re: Golden Gate Transit gets new diesel hybrids from Gillig synonymouse 06-24-2019 - 11:02
  Re: Golden Gate Transit gets new diesel hybrids from Gillig FUD 06-24-2019 - 13:42

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com