Re: The author is the husband of that idiot who got 5 others killed at Valhalla, NY
Author: BOB2
Date: 07-11-2019 - 05:55

Some of these are things we are doing already at both railroads and on LRT systems. So some of his suggestions are not really "his".... Bullards, islands to prevent "pull arounds, double gates, more lighting, are all in use, along with more complex things, like fully "integrating" rail crossing signals, with the traffic control signals. We learned many of these "lessons" with the Blue Line fatalities, which has been retrofitted with these things. The Metro Gold line was built new with a number of these crossing improvements.

This grade crossing issue is a real problem/ But, those of us who've been through these, are always amazed by the sheer ignorance and lack of situational awareness of the folks, who run gates, stop on tracks, or in one case ran straight into the side of my stationary engine, which was stopped in the middle of Nadeau Street on "old Alameda", with all crossing signal going, while my pin puller was lining a switch.... He never even looked up to see the train, as I watched him hit the engine without ever braking....

Remember the line out of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" about auto drivers "watching TV" instead of being in the world around them. Some folks are on a different "channel", and that was true way before cell phones and I-pads allowed you to play "words with friends" or watch movies, while driving down the freeway....

You should have seen some of the crazy s#it I've seen folks doing while operating a vehicle back when I was doing the photo license plate traffic surveys and carpool counts from the freeway bridges in LA and OC, back in the 90's, up to, and including having sex while driving.... We did count that as a "carpool", on the survey IIRC?

If the descriptions of the events are correct, his wife was irresponsible in her behavior, and her irresponsible actions resulted in the deaths of other innocent parties, so of course, it's obviously not her fault, right?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Ideas for improving grade crossings. Pdxrailtransit 07-10-2019 - 16:52
  Re: Ideas for improving grade crossings. Cprr 07-10-2019 - 17:06
  The author is the husband of that idiot who got 5 others killed at Valhalla, NY Honesty 07-10-2019 - 18:33
  Re: The author is the husband of that idiot who got 5 others killed at Valhalla, NY BOB R 07-10-2019 - 21:11
  Re: The author is the husband of that idiot who got 5 others killed at Valhalla, NY BOB2 07-11-2019 - 05:55
  Re: The author is the husband of that idiot who got 5 others killed at Valhalla, NY David Dewey 07-11-2019 - 08:19
  Re: The author is the husband of that idiot who got 5 others killed at Valhalla, NY FUD 07-11-2019 - 12:14
  Re: The author is the husband of that idiot who got 5 others killed at Valhalla, NY George Andrews 07-11-2019 - 17:43
  Re: The author is the husband of that idiot who got 5 others killed at Valhalla, NY Peter 07-11-2019 - 07:15
  The NTSB is a political joke Amtrak 501 07-11-2019 - 09:32

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com