Re: That's not 25% of the Seattle Region, and it has nothing to do with the purported benefit or merits of these bus "lanes" ....
Author: BOB2
Date: 07-11-2019 - 16:38

les,

I know about this number, and you do know that 25% is only for an area defined as "downtown" Seattle, right?

It is a response that, once again, has nothing to do with the question.

Do take a lane BRT's in already highly congested auto corridor improve operational or travel times for bus riders, compared to the time costs, increased gas usage, and increased emissions, from taking those lanes and imposing those additional costs on them?

The answer is NO. It is not about service level, or stop placement, it is about travel time cost savings to bus users offsetting time cost penalties on drivers. And, based on the evidence I've collected, there is very little, if any time savings, in most cases, and no "evidence" of any on street segments, like are being proposed on Colorado, or Roscoe...

I suspect that the Seattle Tacoma region has about the same transit mode split as the Southern California percentage of about 4% of total regional trips by some form of public transit, and over 85% in a cars, as a driver or a passenger.

les Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think it is a question of mode capacity or
> BRT station location, I think it is
> will it work. Seattle is known to have the most
> aggressive implementation of buses in the nation
> and has a population of which most use public
> transportation. But even Seattle realizes BRT's
> limitations(Seattle is only implementing it on the
> fringes of King County). "Despite massive job
> growth, just 25 percent of workers drove
> themselves in 2017." according to the results of
> the latest annual commuter survey by the Seattle
> Department of Transportation.
>
> It isn't converting lanes to BRT that is driving
> Seattle's success, but it more has to do with bus
> frequency and convenience of access. Sure, some
> BRT features don't hurt such as pre-board paying,
> level boarding and multiple boarding points. But
> BRT in its purest form is an unnecessary evil.
>
> You still have 35% in cars which makes it
> impossible to take their lanes away. (35% of 1-2
> million is still a lot of people)
>
> [www.citylab.com]
> ttle-keeps-slashing-its-downtown-driving-rate/5532
> 80/
>
>
>
>

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Apparently some Angelenos do not care for BRT synonymouse 07-11-2019 - 10:08
  Re: Those pushing lane takings for BRT can't show any benefit from it.... BOB2 07-11-2019 - 11:37
  Re: Those pushing lane takings for BRT can't show any benefit from it.... les 07-11-2019 - 12:06
  Re: Those pushing lane takings for BRT can't show any benefit from it.... synonymouse 07-11-2019 - 12:14
  Re: Those pushing lane takings for BRT can't show any benefit from it.... david vartanoff 07-11-2019 - 14:09
  Re: I'm an idiot, I know.... Stupid me, using math, instead of clicking my heels and believing I'm in Kansas..really really hard. BOB2 07-11-2019 - 15:57
  Re: Those pushing lane takings for BRT can't show any benefit from it.... les 07-11-2019 - 16:15
  Re: That's not 25% of the Seattle Region, and it has nothing to do with the purported benefit or merits of these bus "lanes" .... BOB2 07-11-2019 - 16:38
  Re: That's not 25% of the Seattle Region, and it has nothing to do with the purported benefit or merits of these bus "lanes" .... FUD 07-11-2019 - 17:21
  Re: That's not 25% of the Seattle Region, and it has nothing to do with the purported benefit or merits of these bus "lanes" .... les 07-11-2019 - 18:19
  I've done that commute once or twice, I know what the 25% is referencing les 07-11-2019 - 18:07
  Re: I've done that commute once or twice, I know what the 25% is referencing Cprr 07-12-2019 - 07:05
  Re: I've done that commute once or twice, I know what the 25% is referencing Cprr 07-12-2019 - 07:07
  Here's a study I remember that sounded similar to Bob's les 07-12-2019 - 07:36
  Re: I've done that commute once or twice, I know what the 25% is referencing FUD 07-12-2019 - 09:26
  Re:A waste of resources, and BS... And. "it's bad for you".... BOB2 07-12-2019 - 11:14
  Re: Re:A waste of resources, and BS... And. "it's bad for you".... WebDigger 07-12-2019 - 17:09

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com