Author: Lurker
Date: 07-16-2019 - 16:09

Craig Tambo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Parking at all SMART lots is pay, and you must use
> the Parkmobile app to do so. If you go on a
> Sunday, on-street parking may be free (I
> understand it is in San Rafael).

I think the Cotati lot is owned by the city and is free. There's street parking next to Novato San Marin station that is also free and not enforced. All the other stations, I think you have to pay via ParkMobile. Parkmobile charges you extra fees if you pay via phone and not the app.

> You must use a Clipper Card to pay the SMART fare.

Actually, there's a mobile app but you need a credit card. Search under "Smart train" in the app store. You have to activate the ticket on your phone before you get on the train. Show it to the conductor when (if) they check tickets. The app will automagically give you and your party the price for a senior or a youth ticket. I think under 18 ride free the rest of the summer if they're with an adult If you're only riding SMART, definitely use the app. No need to tag on and off.

If you're transferring to bus or ferry, use the Clipper card so you get more fare discounts for transfers. Clipper cards cost $3 for adult. They might be free for seniors and kids. Seniors and kids get the best discount (%50 off SMART fare), but they make it difficult to get a card if you're from out of town. You have to prove you're a senior or a kid at a transit office, in person. You can do it via mail too but it seems like more trouble than it's worth just for a one time ride.

> Riding SMART is great fun, more for where it is
> than what it is. Who would have thought that after
> 60+ years, you could ride through Marin and Sonoma
> on the NWP? Since trains are only 2-3 cars,
> commute times (and sometimes weekends) can be very
> crowded. Best bet is to ride mid-day.

Trains are definitely less crowded mid-day, but service is more frequent (every 30 minutes) during Morning and Evening commute hours.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Recommendations For Riding SMART From Outside the Area John Bruce 07-16-2019 - 14:27
  Re: Recommendations For Riding SMART From Outside the Area Craig Tambo 07-16-2019 - 15:22
  Re: Recommendations For Riding SMART From Outside the Area Lurker 07-16-2019 - 16:09
  Re: Recommendations For Riding SMART From Outside the Area That Bus Guy 07-16-2019 - 20:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com