Feather River Canyon Traffic
Author: Matt C. Batryn-Rodriguez
Date: 08-06-2019 - 10:34

A few weeks ago there was a post asking about current traffic levels in the Feather River Canyon. I took another trip out to the old WP this past Saturday with a friend and figured I would post a quick update and a few photos for anyone interested.

We were out in the canyon from about 06:30 to about 21:30 and saw a total of 5 trains that would have seen at least some daylight in the canyon. For most of the afternoon we were east of Keddie, and as my laptop battery died there could have been additional BNSF Gateway Sub trains we missed. Traffic we saw consisted of the following:

- WB UP MNPFR (this used to be the MNPRV, and apparently still drops off most of its train at RV) Through the canyon early morning.
- EB BNSF Manifest. Thought the Canyon late morning
- WB BNSF Manifest (somehow managed to miss this one while chasing the EB BNSF manifest) Thought the Canyon late morning
- WB UP INPOA. Into Portola late afternoon
- EB BNSF Military train to the Sierra Army Depot at Herlong. Through the canyon in the afternoon.

In addition while driving down in the morning I saw two WB UP trains come out of Oroville on ATCS Mon, and head down the Sac Sub to Binney Jct. where they too the UP Valley Sub to Roseville. These could have been unit grain, coal, or ethanol trains that came through the Canyon, or they could have been ballast trains out of Elsey.

For fun here are a few shots from the trip:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48472776482_d1dd3f7ea1_o.jpgKramm, CA by Matt Batryn-Rodriguez, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48465961082_15f2e83701_o.jpgIntake, CA by Matt Batryn-Rodriguez, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48465960722_48046afb2f_o.jpgPortola, CA by Matt Batryn-Rodriguez, on Flickr

A few more can be found on my flickr here: [www.flickr.com]

Best regards,
~Matt

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Feather River Canyon Traffic Matt C. Batryn-Rodriguez 08-06-2019 - 10:34
  Re: Feather River Canyon Traffic Jack S. 08-06-2019 - 10:47
  Re: Feather River Canyon Traffic Pdxrailtransit 08-06-2019 - 14:57
  Re: Feather River Canyon Traffic Keith Ode 08-06-2019 - 17:38
  Re: Feather River Canyon Traffic Sagus srvr 08-07-2019 - 06:21
  Re: Feather River Canyon Traffic Matt C. Batryn-Rodriguez 08-09-2019 - 11:10
  Re: Feather River Canyon Traffic Keith Ode 08-09-2019 - 11:12

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com