Re: SP KEELER DEPOT
Author: BOB2
Date: 08-11-2019 - 09:34

It is a ghost town. The Keeler depot, I seem to remember was "inhabited" for a number of years, but I'm unsure of the present status.

It's worth the side trip around the "Lake" to see it, and the "ghost" town. I've made it a regular side trip, when I get up that way, but haven't been in a couple of years. This area was also where John Ford used the "slim princess" in a movie or two... And, this is along the segment where the SP NG train "carried" the "waters" in "original" famous "promotional event" of the Mt. Whitney to Death Valley "race".

We don't seem to value some of our history that much anymore, and don't seem to learn much from it these days. But, this area is certainly as historic, in how it shaped CA's history, with the Cerro Gordo "lode", as Bodie was. It would sure be nice to see the Keeler Depot under a better state of preservation and care.

As the promoters of the rail line were purported to have said at the time, in 1883, when the railroad finally reached the "terminus" of the Carson and Colorado Railway at Keeler: "we either built this line 300 miles too long, or 300 years too soon....."

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SP KEELER DEPOT JOHN 08-11-2019 - 08:35
  Re: SP KEELER DEPOT BOB2 08-11-2019 - 09:34
  Re: SP KEELER DEPOT FUD 08-11-2019 - 21:20
  Re: SP KEELER DEPOT Matt C. Batryn-Rodriguez 08-12-2019 - 08:52
  Re: SP KEELER DEPOT SP5103 08-13-2019 - 18:16
  Re: SP KEELER DEPOT FUD 08-13-2019 - 20:19

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com