**Circle the Wagons** --- A 1994 Railfan's Story !
Author: "Key Route Ken"
Date: 02-19-2007 - 08:18

Greetings to all of my fellow railfan hobbyists.... I haven't posted on A-P for quite a while and with our illustrious webmaster's permission (David Curlee), I would like to tell you folks a story that really took place and what became one of the most memorable (and hilarious) rail excursions EVER, sponsored by the 'Pacific Limited Group' ...
I will be quick to point out that we were never "siden ridden" like our Sacramento complainer alludes to for all things UPRR--- NO, we weren't... Infact, the UPRR folks were very cooperative the whole time!
If any of you have already read this story on other lists-- my apologies !!

But you just have to read this story in its entirety to find out just what happened during our FOUR Days traversing our beloved "Feather River Canyon".... Enjoy !!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

**CIRCLE THE WAGONS**
July 1, 2, 3, 4---1994
“A California Railfan’s Adventure”

(The Story That Can Only Now Be Told)

As told by ‘Ken Shattock’ (“Key Route Ken”)

“Back in the days when the Pacific Limited Group was still running wonderful railfan excursions under the able leadership of Operations Manager Hal Lewis, I happened to be in San Francisco around January-1994 as an exhibitor at the Great American Train Show (GATS)…

Hal Lewis and I both belonged to the Central Coast Chapter, NRHS in Santa Clara, CA and after exchanging greetings upon seeing each other at the show, he casually mentioned the great ‘Circle the Wagons’ event to be held on the July 4th weekend that same year, for four days, at the “Western Pacific Railroad Museum” at Portola, CA. After receiving all the great details from Hal, I later made plans to put in a reservation to be on that trip.

The train excursion would consist of the Union Pacific passenger excursion equipment pulled by their three UP E 9-Units. It would depart on Friday, July 1, 1994 from the old Western Pacific depot site in Fremont, CA off of Shinn Street and travel to Portola via the Feather River Canyon. The train would return to Fremont from Portola on Monday evening, July 4th. During the festivities held at Portola and sponsored by FRRS members, the UPRR would be operating excursion trips up and down the canyon providing opportunities for the general public and fans to enjoy an eighty mile roundtrip ride.
It was later decided on Saturday afternoon, July 2nd to allow those that wanted an “extra ride” to travel with us on the Eastbound return trip to Portola all the way out over Beckwith Pass to Reno Junction to “turn the train”. For this they were charged an extra fare of twenty dollars.

Now then, let’s back up to January-1994 once again, where I met Hal Lewis at the GATS show held in the Cow Palace in Daly City, CA. Hal had informed me that if I planned to go on the trip, to plan ahead, as suitable motel accommodations in the area were few and far between. I thanked him for the info. Later on that same day, I met with Hal Lewis once again and told him that “one of these days” I would like to be considered to be a Car Host for one of his trips that the Pacific Limited Group might operate.

The following week, after attending the GATS show, I checked my AAA listings and found a place of lodging in Portola itself, known as the “Sierra Motel” … It turned out that it was within walking distance of the downtown area and the UPRR yard in particular. It turns out that a “block of rooms” are usually set aside for traincrew members of the UPRR. They might not even have a room available for that busy weekend, but I took a chance anyway and gave them a call. To my luck and surprise, the clerk informed me that they did have a room I could stay in for the four days. This was great as I now had a nice place to stay to participate in or observe all the railfan action for that holiday weekend.

As it turned out, there was a nice restaurant in town that was open twenty-four hours for the benefit of UP trainmen. Not only did I eat most of my meals there, but it also gave me the opportunity to chat with the UPRR train crews.

The entire weekend, for me , was pretty much uneventful except for TWO episodes that will never be forgotten in the annuals of Pacific Limited Group-sponsored excursions.

I hope that our webmaster, David , let’s me continue to push on with this tale.

About a month or so before the train was due to depart from Fremont, CA for this great Fourth of July holiday weekend rail trip, I was contacted by Hal Lewis and informed that he had selected ME to be one of the car hosts for the “Circle the Wagons” trip in July.
Of course I was honored and at the same time, very excited, to say the least. Just in advance of the trip, the car hosts met with Hal Lewis and other PLG staff personnel along with UPRR representatives at a local Fremont, CA hotel. We received our badge and car host shirt and found out the rules and what our duties aboard the train would be. There would be two car hosts assigned per car. I was assigned to one of the UPRR dome cars along with another NRHS local member who was a great guy and a lot of fun to work with.

We were informed to bring our luggage to the Fremont hotel the morning of departure and we would then be “bused” to the train at trackside, as there was no available parking within the confines of the UP yard area at the end of Shinn Street. The train would depart promptly at 0830 hours on Friday, July 1st (1994) . Friday morning at the hotel in Fremont came and went and we were now boarding our train for a fantastic adventure all weekend thru the scenic Feather River Canyon.

Ok everyone (sorry this is taking so long) it was now almost 0830 hours on Friday and engineer Steve Lee is about to be given the highball by our conductor. I was still up in the baggage car manning a prime vantage point for the view thru Niles Canyon. We now experience what I will refer to as Episode I, part (a) …
All of a sudden, out of seemingly nowhere, a man and woman drive up alongside the train in a very excitable mood. They almost ran into the switchstand that operated the switch under the lead cars. The guy is extremely excited and very agitated and demands to know where HE can park his car, because they have tickets to take this trip with us.
As the closest PLG staff person (car host) to this excited individual, I quickly and plainly explained that we are already getting ready to depart for Portola and that he couldn’t leave his car where it sat because the UPRR would immediately have it towed away.
Then he says something about “Where the hell do I park it then ?” Not fully realizing what I might have been suggesting in a quick moment of haste, I told him to park it under a big tree right inside the Shinn Street gate to the UPRR property as it would be so far removed from everything UP, they probably would leave it alone til the following Monday, when the train would return from Portola. He said OK ! The couple parked under the big tree and then made a run for our train and made it barely in time. We welcomed them aboard and showed them to their seats.
ALL ABOARD and away we went, bound for Portola and a great holiday weekend.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself all weekend long. Riding trains, eating good food, meeting great people, introducing members of the public to rail adventures and railfanning in particular, photographing trains, chatting with UPRR train crew members in the downtown café, and having the “thrilling experience” of vacuuming the entire UP dome car we were responsible for, while traveling some fifty+ miles per hour from Portola to Reno Junction to get the car cleaned and then turned around for another “down the canyon trip” …

We are now nearing the time for Episode II of our PLG adventure story ! If you recall, I had been staying at the “Sierra Motel” in Portola at my own personal expense. I did not know at the time that the PLG treasurer had made arrangements for all the PLG staff and car hosts to stay together at other locations outside of Portola proper. I was the “lone wolf”, out on my own, doing my thing !! Having an absolute GREAT time …

PLG had made arrangements for air-conditioned tour buses to transport railfans, train passengers and PLG staff over to RENO, to enjoy friendship, food, drink and gambling too, I’m sure … “Key Route Ken” was the holdout who was a loner at the “Sierra Motel” … Anyway, to continue this story ------

On Monday morning, July 4th (1994), “Key Route Ken” awoke early in his very comfortable motel room in Portola, got cleaned up and dressed, and took that long early morning walk down the highway and over the Feather River and the tracks of the UPRR.
I had a big, beautiful breakfast at my favorite “traincrew cafe” .. After breakfast, I checked out the E-9’s and got a chance to gab with UPRR engineer Steve Lee in private.
I told him I’d see him later in the morning and took off, walking back to my room at the Sierra Motel. After gathering my things together in my room, I went to the front desk and checked out, thanking them for their outstanding hospitality.

I then departed for downtown Portola and the UPRR rail yard. I resembled a hobo with my back pack on a stick
In taking that famous long hike across that bridge that spanned the Feather River and the UPRR tracks, I suddenly became aware of a large moter vehicle approaching from behind my position on the bridge. WOW !! It was Hal Lewis and the whole PLG gang, returning from a night of partying in RENO . The bus driver tooted his horn at me and I stopped to see what was up ! When I approached the bus and the driver opened the door, Hal Lewis invited me aboard for a ride to our departing train so as I wouldn’t have to continue walking the rest of the way. What a “nice gesture” , huh ??

After I climbed aboard this bus, I was immediately subjected to “taunts and cat calls and other implied insults” (all in jest) .. Things like : “Hey Ken, did you get enough sleep ?”
“How was your bed, Ken; was it cozy ?” “Did you have any room service, Ken ?”
“What size bed did you have, Ken ?” And on and on it went, clear back to trainside and our early departure for Fremont. I never thought their ‘taunts’ would ever stop, but they finally did. But why ME ?? I couldn’t figure it out at all ! A real mystery, to be sure…

Later on, Hal Lewis confided in me what it was all about. It seems the PLG folks were “jealous” about my comfortable arrangements at the Sierra Motel in Portola. It seems as though there was a real, big blunder on the part of somebody as there were NO reservations on file for a majority of the PLG party in Reno. Hence, some guys were packed in a room.. Some had to sleep on the floor… some had to sleep on couches in the lobby and so forth. They said it was utterly miserable. I thought it was hilarious !
I had plenty of rest all weekend.

Our train departed from Portola pretty much on time, bound for Fremont, Re-joining our train passengers at Portola was that “man and woman couple” from Fremont who had the car problem which was outlined in Episode I, Part (a) … They were excited and very happy for a great time on the train and a great time in Reno. They thanked everyone for a great trip ! ALL ABOARD and we were off for Fremont on the old WP mainline and homeward bound !

And now for the conclusion of our original Episode I ….

The train arrived back in Fremont pretty much close to being on time. Most folks boarded waiting shuttle buses for the trip back to the Fremont hotel where they had left their cars in the parking lot. Everyone that is except for that man and woman who had finally left their car the previous Friday morning under that “big tree’ as directed by “Key Route Ken” …
I was up in the baggage car again upon our arrival in Fremont, and as the train came to a stop, I happened to look way up the line and saw the couple’s car still parked under that “big tree” . But something didn’t seem right about the situation.. It was rather hard to tell, but it looked to me, from a great distance, that the hood of the couple’s car was in the “raised position” .. I thought “oh-oh” and a strange feeling came over me.
About that time, the man and woman re-appeared with their belongings and thanked us again for a fantastic holiday weekend adventure. And away they went, walking across the Yard area to their car, parked under that “big tree” .

In helping folks off the train, I found out that a few of us could stay aboard and ride with the UPRR crews while they turned the train around on the Wye for their trip home to Cheyenne. I wan’t sure if I wanted to or not. But just then, someone pointed and said some folks were “screaming” and swearing and yelling and running back toward our train. I said WHAT ? And looked up the line. And it was THEM again… That same man and woman who had gone to reclaim their car under that “big tree” and then take a long ride home down the SF peninsula …

I suddenly got the “intense feeling that I needed to suddenly disappear” for my own safety. And then came the call—ALL ABOARD.. And we were off and running again to take the train down the Milpitas Branch and turn it on the Wye at Niles. I spotted my good friend and local old-time railfan “Pete Goodier” in the crowd, and yelled to him to please call my wife and let her know I was back but would be delayed a while in getting home. He said he would !

All in all, I enjoyed myself to no end. I envisioned myself as a UP employee running trains thru the Feather River Canyon. And having a four day experience I would not soon forget. Oh yes, what about the famous man and woman who were screaming and who were evidently “searching ME out” in an extremely violent and agitated state ??
Yeah, you folks remember them. The ‘idiots’ who parked under that “big tree’ at the personal direction of probably another ‘idiot” (ME) ! What about THEM ???

Well folks (End of Episode I, Part ‘b’): It seems while that couple was having a great railfan adventure and enjoying the nightlife in Reno, there were some “unsavory characters” who had appeared at some point, under that “big tree” and totally stripped that couple’s car down to an absolute bare, welded frame. Nothing left ! No engine, no battery, no gadgets, no appliances, no carpets or upholstery, NO NOTHING !!!

They never found “Key Route Ken” to this day. (that couple, that is) …and praise Jesus for that. You folks might not have been enjoying my history sessions !

Anyway, I do feel really bad for them in losing their car—I hope it was insured…
And I feel a soft place in my heart for a bunch of car hosts who didn’t know how to place a reservation !! Yeah, right !!!

That’s my story regarding the great “Circle the Wagons” holiday weekend. I hope you folks enjoyed it, and to our able Webmaster, “David”, I apologize that this was so lengthy.

Thanks for everyone’s attention.

Cheers !!

KEN SHATTOCK
(aka “Key Route Ken”…)

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  **Circle the Wagons** --- A 1994 Railfan's Story ! "Key Route Ken" 02-19-2007 - 08:18
  Re: **Circle the Wagons** --- A 1994 Railfan's Story ! Bruce Butler 02-19-2007 - 09:25
  Re: **Circle the Wagons** --- A 1994 Railfan's Story ! Ross Hall 02-20-2007 - 17:03
  Re: **Circle the Wagons** --- A 1994 Railfan's Story ! David Jansson 02-21-2007 - 09:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com