Re: More trains, or justt more cars? Not sure... That's a good question though....
Author: BOB2
Date: 09-05-2019 - 10:47

That's a good question. There is no trackage for train "staging" around the USC complex that I know of. And, I know that there have been capacity problems at some of the games last year.

IIRC, there may be a "service" or "maintenance" siding west of USC, that might be able to be used for "staging", but I am unsure of how feasible that might be. They could also increase service frequency, (often these events are on weekends, with less service scheduled), but I am not sure that they do that, either?

I've noticed that MTA mostly just seems to increase train length to the maximum 3 cars, if there is any visible awareness or response to big LA centered weekend events, but don't add any service, on the Gold Line. They do run all night frequent service on New Years eve "all night" and more early morning service for the Rose Parade in Pasadena, though.

I've seen a number many large sports venues in Germany, that do have nearby, extra train staging, and even one with an extra platform, so that multiple trains can be unloaded and/or loaded at one time, just for major events. They almost always added more cars and more service for special events.

I have spoken about that potential need for event vehicle staging, to a friend who is also a retired LA Co. Supe, and how that might be useful, with the Olympics coming to LA again. There are some options to locate staging tracks near USC, and the Coliseum, though that is not cheap.

Although, in my 50 year career, it seemed like we tried real hard, whenever possible, to avoid learning anything useful like that, from "foreigners", lest we became "tainted" from learning anything from the experience of others... And, we often see that need to reinvent a "new" version of the "wheel" from scratch, reflected so clearly, in some of our more egregious transit screw ups....

Maybe someone who works at MTA can give us more information on how they handle event crowds?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Update on LA Metro Expo Line Closures-Hooray! No more "bus" bridge as of Saturday.... BOB2 09-05-2019 - 09:54
  Re: Update on LA Metro Expo Line Closures-Hooray! No more "bus" bridge as of Saturday.... J Mann 09-05-2019 - 10:15
  Re: More trains, or justt more cars? Not sure... That's a good question though.... BOB2 09-05-2019 - 10:47
  Re: More trains, or justt more cars? Not sure... That's a good question though.... FUD 09-05-2019 - 11:31
  Re: More trains, or justt more cars? Not sure... That's a good question though.... Rider 09-05-2019 - 21:14
  Re: The connector will allow fo use of GL staging too BOB2 09-06-2019 - 02:27

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com