Re: Another bogus headline from the mouse
Author: n9949y
Date: 09-14-2019 - 13:11

I’ve begun to envision mid-21st century and beyond urban transportation systems structured around AI and robotic autonomous vehicles traveling on existing and redesigned freeways and streets acting like continuous moving conveyor belts providing a steady uninterrupted traffic flow. Such systems are far less expensive and far more flexible because they already exist in one form than interim fixed rail corridors which are based on 19th and 20th technology and cost so much more to plan and build.

Increased and widened highway and freeway construction is often opposed that, yes, more lanes mean more cars so more lane, more roadways don't make urban transportation easier, better, improved. Right now, let’s say for discussion the I-15 corridor is used by 10,000 vehicles driven by 8-10,000 drivers per day. That adds up to 10, 000 drivers each having his or her version as to how traffic should move- some slow, many faster than speed limits, many annoyed by slower cars in front, so tailgating and rear end accidents are not uncommon, inadvertent lane changes, etc. Could be said driving in cities and Inter-states is now a kind of mayhem.

Fixed rail doesn’t seem to reduce traffic. I live in Eugene, OR 110 miles south of Portland, a city that almost more than others has built a comprehensive light rail system reaching most every corner of the metropolitan area. Add to that rail system is the Cascades connecting Eugene to Vancouver, BC another burgeoning core urban strip that will one day rival the Boston, NYC, Washington DC in size and transportation intensity.

I drive occasionally to Portland, less so as at age 81 the increasing traffic along I-5 presents more challenging driving conditions than I care to deal with. Yet existing rail doesn’t offer me the flexibility to get around Portland, Salem, Eugene, Vancouver, BC I want and need.

Maybe long after I’m gone one of my grandchildren will be able to slide into his AI equipped electric vehicle. Speak to the advanced “Hey Siri!” to tell it where he wants to go and, automatically he in his car along with the thousands of others will be off on his trip entirely automatically and flowing with no freeway tie ups, knots of congestion and accidents. Maybe……

One other transportation matter I’m intrigued by. I was once a professional pilot flying general aviation aircraft on charter trips on both coasts, Mexico and Canada. In the same vein as automated cars, buses, trucks and even rail trains, most sometime in the future absent of controlling drivers or operators would the public, and some readers here, be content to board and travel on an airline flight that also has no operator/pilot(s)?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Highway lobby rises up in San Diego synonymouse 09-14-2019 - 10:08
  Re: Highway lobby rises up in San Diego Cprr 09-14-2019 - 10:48
  Another bogus headline from the mouse One size does not fit all 09-14-2019 - 11:22
  Re: Another bogus headline from the mouse n9949y 09-14-2019 - 13:11
  Re: Usual Loony toons interpretation from Mouse, but who did Hasan purge at SANDAG... BOB2 09-14-2019 - 13:57

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com