Port of Oakland OGRE new engine
Author: Carl A.
Date: 09-16-2019 - 10:40

There is publicity today (or nearly) about 2 new Port of Oakland railroad engine (OGRE). The publicity from the Port talks about the wonders of the new engines, but doesn't say what they are. Turns out they are Tier 4 diesels. I wondered what a Tier 4 diesel is, and found this link to YouTube. The link is dreadfully corny, but underneath the corn, there is basic information. My interpretation: It's diesel, with a whole lot of sensors and monitoring. It will have lower emissions of smoke (a very good thing). It will be quicker and cheaper to detect deterioration of parts -- the idea is to change out parts before they cause the whole engine's performance to deteriorate. Of course, part of performance is hauling the trains; but diesel smoke is also a big deal. If parts are fixed early, it will reduce smoke, even before pollutants become measurable in the engine's exhaust.

Smoke is one thing. Carbon dioxide is another -- I don't think Tier 4 will help very much about CO2, and therefore Tier 4 won't be a big help regarding the global climate.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Port of Oakland OGRE new engine Carl A. 09-16-2019 - 10:40
  Re: Port of Oakland OGRE new engine Damon Hill 09-16-2019 - 16:07
  Re: Port of Oakland OGRE new engine Willis 09-16-2019 - 22:24
  Direct link OPRRMS 09-16-2019 - 22:47
  Re: Port of Oakland OGRE new engine Nick Wolters 09-17-2019 - 08:44
  Re: Port of Oakland OGRE new engine Jacko 09-17-2019 - 08:48

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com