Re: I've I've had that experience with Freeway noise and it caused a change in how we determine soundwall eligibility. It can be real... which is why we collect and analyze actual data.
Author: FUD
Date: 09-30-2019 - 21:19

I can "hear" the traffic noise, horns, etc. up to a few miles from the source. The decibel level associated with that is usually quite modest (50s and low 60s under worst-case conditions, with a light breeze blowing directly from the source). In the back yard (house acting as a sound wall) it's barely audible. Where my brother lives (near I-80, and formerly across the street from I-5, with sound walls in both locations), the sound levels are quite livable.

Yes, it can be loud if you're a short distance away from a crossing and get the horns at close range, wall or not. Even the bells from light rail in quiet zones can be annoying. But there aren't many people in that situation, and sound walls do keep things to a dull roar. The NIMBYs - really, the anti-rail (and anti-highway (and anti-everything)) crowd - usually don't live there, and are stirring up complaints (as Bob's experiment brilliantly shows) for other purposes.

Same thing happens with aircraft noise: I live under the landing pattern of an airport, about 10 miles out. Right near where inbounds pick up the ILS. Most heavies (typically freighters) cross me at about 3000', and aren't horribly noisy - I usually sleep through them even at 3-6AM. The noisiest traffic is military (C5's, C17's, and F16's shooting touch and goes during the day, and Air Guard choppers). There's a constant drumbeat of noise complaints, though, from an area about 5-10 miles farther away, where the inbounds cross at about 6-8000' above ground level. But no complaints about the GA airport right near them. Go figure.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Who Uses The Term "Sleepers" And What Does it Mane? Kreme A. Knall 09-29-2019 - 22:19
  Re: Who Uses The Term "Sleepers" And What Does it Mane? Joe Magruder 09-29-2019 - 22:56
  Re: Who Uses The Term "Sleepers"? And what does it mean when Nimby;s hearr train horns... We did a little horn experiment once upon a time.... BOB2 09-30-2019 - 07:15
  Re: Who Uses The Term "Sleepers"? And what does it mean when Nimby;s hearr train horns... We did a little horn experiment once upon a time.... david vartanoff 09-30-2019 - 09:07
  Re: I've I've had that experience with Freeway noise and it caused a change in how we determine soundwall eligibility. It can be real... which is why we collect and analyze actual data. BOB2 09-30-2019 - 10:22
  Re: I've I've had that experience with Freeway noise and it caused a change in how we determine soundwall eligibility. It can be real... which is why we collect and analyze actual data. FUD 09-30-2019 - 21:19
  Re: I've I've had that experience with Freeway noise and it caused a change in how we determine soundwall eligibility. It can be real... which is why we collect and analyze actual data. david vartanoff 09-30-2019 - 22:33
  Re: Who Uses The Term "Sleepers" And What Does it Mane? sleeper awakened 09-30-2019 - 10:24
  Re: Who Uses The Term "Sleepers" And What Does it Mane? Dr Zarkoff 09-30-2019 - 11:41
  Re: Who Uses The Term "Sleepers" And What Does it Mane? Rolland Meyers 09-30-2019 - 11:56
  Don't fall for the troll bait OPRRMS 09-30-2019 - 12:56
  Re: Don't fall for the troll bait-Sorry About That... BOB2 09-30-2019 - 13:26
  Re: Don't fall for the troll bait-Sorry About That... Mr Model RR 09-30-2019 - 13:46
  Re: Don't fall for the troll bait-Sorry About That... OPRRMS 09-30-2019 - 13:57
  Re: Don't fall for the troll bait-Sorry About That... FUD 09-30-2019 - 21:30
  Re: Don't fall for the troll bait F.F.S. 10-01-2019 - 10:59
  Re: Who Uses The Term "Sleepers" And What Does it Mane? Randall Coleman III 09-30-2019 - 13:53

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com