Re: CF7’s....did the crews love them or hate them???
Author: OPRRMS
Date: 12-20-2019 - 19:44

HUTCH 7.62 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Berg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I thought I would link this for those who love
> > CF7's. In 1986 with the original curved roof.
> >
> >
> [www.locophotos.com]
>
> > D=143532
>
>
> Did ATSF nail it? Or was the CF 7 an awful
> locomotive???
>

I can only speak to the ones Amtrak acquired from Santa Fe: they were horrible units to switch with.

All the ones I encountered still had their original control stands and air brake pedestals, so it was like switching with an F unit. Santa Fe had added a "SWITCHING/ROAD" toggle switch; in theory, it should've made them load faster in "Switching," but the difference was minimal. Sliding side windows had replaced the original crank style, but they had a tendency to fall out when opened quickly, apparently the result of the sides flexing.

During my tenure with Amtrak Zone 12 in Southern California in 1986-'87, three "switchers" were required to cover the daily yard and Pin Up jobs. Two CF7s (593 and 594) and one GP7 (762) were operable, with the (ex-Wabash) Geep being by far the best. Redondo Jct. also had two other Geeps and a CF7 stored out of service (they eventually repaired the 598 and used it).

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Amtrak CF7 Berg 12-20-2019 - 17:13
  Re: CF7’s....did the crews love them or hate them??? HUTCH 7.62 12-20-2019 - 18:41
  Re: CF7’s....did the crews love them or hate them??? Berg 12-20-2019 - 19:07
  Re: CF7’s....did the crews love them or hate them??? OPRRMS 12-20-2019 - 19:44
  Re: CF7’s....did the crews love them or hate them??? 8th st enger 12-21-2019 - 00:40
  Re: CF7’s....did the crews love them or hate them??? George Andrews 12-21-2019 - 08:39
  Re: CF7’s....did the crews love them or hate them??? Ralph 12-21-2019 - 09:06

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com