Re: Radio Ads against SMART? I agree with half of your points...
Author: BOB2
Date: 01-15-2020 - 15:36

Mueller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry I put this below in the wrong place further
> down.
>
> a) Who's paying for these radio ads?
>
> b) Based on what I'm hearing, SMART's tax
> extension measure will fail.
>
> c) If you want to see dysfunction in action watch
> the Board's conversation on rail
> ridership (Jan 8th). Just about everyone on this
> forum knows far more
> than Board members and apparently more than the
> staff understands.
>
> d) Farhad Mansourian knows how to build a
> railroad. He just doesn't know how to
> run a railroad.

All of that is true. But, some of these problems SMART now has, can be traced back to the analysis management presented, and the choices this long dysfunctional Board made, in what they've built. Things like DMU versus Loco hauled, or what the track needs would be, based on some operational goal, tied to some level of service necessary to achieve a given level of ridership. All of that seemed to be then, and is now still, disconnected from clear operational need to achieve ridership goals.

Many of the problems with ridership they are facing, are because they really didn't build it, with much thinking about how they were going to operate it, to offer a level of service, necessary to attract optimal ridership. So I really can't agree that, since he is supposed to be in charge of developing an efficiently operating transit system, that he did that good of job building SMART, either. He is a competent public works director who got the project he recommended to the Board, that he directed the planning and design for, constructed, that's all...

There have been a number of national groups, that have funded anti-transit efforts in Phoenix, and around the country, that are likely paying for things like radio spots. While most of the folks on AP could do better, and this has been (like CAHSRA, or even Trump) a disaster, don't take that as a sign the folks are going to reject the sales tax based solely on demonstrated incompetence and stupidity by politicians and bureaucrats. Although, the measure is probably in bigger trouble than it would or should be, with a more competent Board and Management at SMART.

Folks who are living in perpetual gridlock, they are tired of it, and they hate it. And, many folk say they actually want us to be a first world country with a modern rail system. This is even part of the frustration that Donald taps into with his Make America Great Again messaging. And, folks seem to want and support what are sold to them as better rail alternatives at the ballot box. Now, if we can only figure out a way to give the voters what they want...instead of things like the CAHSRA cluster-f#ck, or a poorly run SMART....?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Radio Ads against SMART Mueller 01-15-2020 - 10:15
  Re: Radio Ads against SMART Lurker 01-15-2020 - 11:02
  Re: Radio Ads against SMART? I agree with half of your points... BOB2 01-15-2020 - 15:36
  Re: Radio Ads against SMART Keith Ode 01-16-2020 - 01:34
  Re: Radio Ads against SMART ron 01-16-2020 - 08:45

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com