B&O and Reading 1947 - Last of the Scans
Author: Freericks
Date: 11-27-2008 - 10:38

Here are the last of the Skillman NJ scans from 1947 for those who are interested.

We'll start with what I believe to be the B&O Diplomat heading west (definitive help IDing this train would be appreciated).

[knox.rrpicturearchives.net]

Next images is of the gang car and trailer being put away in the hand car shed. What is fascinating about this image to me is that the hand car shed is not that small building in frame, but a large building across the tracks out of frame, so these men are about to pull this thing over all four tracks. I'm pretty sure... or am I nuts?

Now we have a Jersey Central M2s Mikado on a Joint CNJ/Reading freight (easbound) taking on water. This is a distant head on shot. I had previously posted closer shots of this train, which can be found (as can the whole Skillman collection) by clicking on the word Skillman NJ where it says Location up top of the frame on any of these images.

Moving on, this is a summer, or late spring shot of The Crusader passing under Camp Meeting Road behind one of the streamlined Pacifics. This isn't nearly as good as his other image of the same train at the same location on a different day, but still fun to see.

And finally, this last image is just an utter and complete mess, and I almost didn't post it, but it's an I8 Mother Hubbard (which my dad called "Bunkhouse Camelback" anyone know if that is a real term or something he made up?). Looks like it's pulling an eastbound freight.

That's it for Skillman - I think I've exhausted everything worth scanning, what's left is such a mess it's had to tell what my dad was trying to even take a picture of. Thanks for looking and both additional information as well as corrections to the information I provided are more than welcome.

Here's a link to the search for all the Reading images (Skillman and Belle Mead) if anyone wants.

[knox.rrpicturearchives.net] - Skillman

[knox.rrpicturearchives.net] - Belle Mead

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Charles Freericks

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  B&O and Reading 1947 - Last of the Scans Freericks 11-27-2008 - 10:38

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com